Nexcloud is slow because of 512 MB RAM?

I’ve installed NextCloud. I use the cheapest Amazon Lightsail server (1 Core Processor, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB SSD). NextCloud through web interface is very slow, so I can’t even create a new empty text file. The usual error is: Gateway Timeout. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
I can guess it’s because the server parameters are poor, probably RAM is the problem - I checked and it’s only 15 MB of free RAM. Am I right? System requirements — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation . In this link 512 is recommended RAM, it why I’m asking - I want to understand whether this is a poor server problem or I can fix it. Also, I’m not sure whether this is forbidden but I would be glad to hear about cheap VPS hosting suggestion

15 MB of free RAM eh? Where are you getting that number from? If its from the “free” column in the “free” command, then you need to recognize that Linux uses unused RAM for disk cache, and with only 512 MB, you would probably expect the entirety of unused RAM to be consumed with cache. Consequently, you need to look instead at the “available” column. Also look at the “used” column for swap. If its swapping, it will be slow.

Its also worth thinking about that “1 core processor”. What exactly does that mean? One thing it does NOT mean is that you have an entire physical CPU core dedicated to your instance. What it means is that you have 1 virtual cpu core of unknown specifications presented to your instance. It could be no better than a desk calculator, and it doesn’t look like Amazon is being forthcoming about what it actually means.

Based on this; https://lightsail.aws.amazon.com/ls/docs/en_us/articles/amazon-lightsail-viewing-instance-burst-capacity

It sounds like they demand very low average CPU utilization, and will throttle the CPU time granted to your instance if you go over.

If use “free” command, it shows 181 MB of available RAM when I do nothing, and 34 MB when I’m trying to do something. I guess 34 MB is too small, isn’t it? Also my CPU utilization is high enough when I’m trying to do something - it goes up to 28% when my baseline is only 5% although I have burst capacity but still I don’t fully understand how burst capacity works.
Seems, I need to try to change a plan to more expensive one

I changed the plan to a more expensive one and it solved the problem.
@Larry_Boyd thanks for the help!

1 Like