News App - Navigation UI broken

Latest Official Nextcloud Docker Image

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Docker on Ubuntu 22.04LTS
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.57 (Debian)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.2.13

Database: Type: pgsql

Version: PostgreSQL 14.6 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-44), 64-bit

The issue you are facing:

News App - Navigation UI broken (see attached screenshot)

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

Access news app via menu bar

Tested with 3 different browsers (Firefox, Brave & Chrome all Latest Stable)

Hello,

I have the same problem. Have you found a solution to this problem?

Thank you very much!
Sven.

No, unfortunately there isn’t much in terms of clues in the logs. There are some Javascript errors errors client side though.

nextcloud_news_js

The app is simply not ready for NC28.
See https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/news → Alpha version.

Full story:

1 Like

Hi,

thank you very much for the information.

Sven

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I did a Docker upgrade and there were no indications that the App wasn’t working on 28. I will need to find a way to check before upgrading. Just recently started using Nextcloud and getting the hang of the ecosystem.

Is there a place where you can see all the apps and support of release version before upgrade?

In the meantime I have upgraded to 25.0.0-alpha2 and other than “TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘length’)” interface bubble on start it seems to work fine. Now that I know it’s not an issue with my environment and will keep an eye on releases.

Thank you!

Yes, the WebUI is checking all installed apps and show you a list of apps which are not ready for the new major version.

Just opened my NC and made a screenshot for you:

2023-12-21_07h20_27

Thanks Mark!

This is what I am getting.

Shouldn’t that list News App as not compatible then?

That screen and the message I saw got me to upgrade to 28.0.0 in the first place. In future I will probably do what I do with other systems that are critical and not install any .0.0 releases :slightly_smiling_face:

But since we’re more in a phase of trial and not having used it anger yet I opted to test with the newer features. So not much harm done.

Keep up the great work. It’s an enormously useful system and will allow us to have less reliance on the big cloud borgs we had to use in the past. :pray:

1 Like

Not if it is already installed.

But before the major upgrade that should be the case.

I could have sworn that wasn’t coming up when I went for 28.0.0, but next time I will double-check that App listing before attempting. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like