News app fork is available for 32-bit

Just a note about the NC News: Since I’m a 32-bit-only user of NC, and also a user of NC News, I’m “maintaining” a 32-bit-compatible fork of NC News. No promises, I try to maintain it only because I’m using it, but it’s been easy, because AFAICT, the 32-bit-incompatible changes in NC News were completely trivial and have exactly zero added value.

4 Likes

@mormegil-cz , that’s great, gotta give it a try! However, could you please update the README to indicate the purpose of the repo on the very top?

[EDIT] found the branch description, just ignore my suggestion.

That’s good (even great) news :slight_smile:

Would you mind opening a dedicated topic for this? I think you as maintainer should start this topic :slight_smile: (and only mods can split a topic I guess)

So then we can check few questions like e. g. (I will move those once the new topic exists):

1 Like

@mormegil-cz it would indeed be cool to have the app in the app store. you can find the instructions how to upload to the app store here if you are interested

2 Likes

@mormegil-cz did you have a look at Daphne’s post?

I still love to have the option finally catching up to the latest release after still being stuck on news app 15 series (which works fine but has some more or less tolerable cosmetic and probably performance issues) with GitHub - mormegil-cz/news: 📰 RSS/Atom feed reader [fork keeping the 32-bit support in the respective branch]

Anyway, I still fear to update because of two reasons:

1. Updating is a one-way show. After the app files update: once the database has been updated (occ upgrade), there’s no easy way back without restoring a database snapshot prior the app update - so updating needs to be “safe” in terms of: GitHub - mormegil-cz/news: 📰 RSS/Atom feed reader [fork keeping the 32-bit support in the respective branch] works fine on 32 bit systems without any (major) downsides
  2. GitHub - mormegil-cz/news: 📰 RSS/Atom feed reader [fork keeping the 32-bit support in the respective branch] is not available in the app store (yet). This way updating is quite painful.

Personally I’d love to give GitHub - mormegil-cz/news: 📰 RSS/Atom feed reader [fork keeping the 32-bit support in the respective branch] a try and jump over above reason #1, once the app is available in the official app store and can therefore be easily updated.

Long story short: can we support you @mormegil-cz somehow with publishing it there?
Looking at App Developer Guide — nextcloudappstore 2.0.0 documentation it looks surprisingly feasible to achieve :slight_smile: :+1:
I really thought that would be much more complicated. You’d only have one additional release step in future (publishing new releases to the app store).

(minor question: will your repo allow an issues section at Pull requests · mormegil-cz/news · GitHub ?)

1 Like

You can make a backup first. afaik, this reads as not keeping backups. Best to you, want to mention these in case you aren’t doing them as part of normal maintenance. :heart:

RSS is the best. :newspaper:

I create backups regularly, full system as well as database backups. Last one twice a day and I know how to create them manually, thanks.

The point is it’s a pain needing to actually restore one, especially when because of fiddling around with int and float to make things compatible stuff might break (maybe time stamps?) and are discovered only after a longer period of time which makes restoring an older backup almost impossible as other parts also changed a lot meanwhile.

Let’s focus on point 2 please. Bring this alternative news app to the Nextcloud app store! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any sign of life @mormegil-cz ?

@mormegil-cz

Update 18 more days later:

Ahm, I don’t think anything is gonna happen here unfortunately.

Having the app not in the app store leaves it pretty useless for me (and others) unfortunately.

If I’d have a bit more time I’d give it a try and bring it to the NC app store.

If anyone else has the opportunity:
start here @ App Developer Guide — nextcloudappstore 2.0.0 documentation

Update half a year later in 12/2023:
OK obviously no one cares. Too bad. Really.