New Instance Setup questions

I just installed Debian and a nextcloud image on a VPS…having some difficulty getting SSL setup with letsencrypt…when I ssh into the hosted VPS, and attempt sudo nextcloud.enable-https lets-encrypt
I get a command not found return. What could the issue be?

What instructions are you following?

There are no official instructions. The VPS hosting provider auto installed Debian and the next cloud image. Im left to do the rest. I need to get the SSL activated to move forward

You must have gotten this command from somewhere. It’s only for the snap version, I think. Is that what you installed?

I didn’t actually do the install, the provider auto installed nextcloud at the time of account creation. So what is the next step to get this IP ssl encrypted? The provider told me to use let’s encrypt

Hello,

Pardon me, but Let’s encrypt won’t work with only IP. It needs a Domain name to function. In case you wish to have encrypted connection via IP only, then use self-signed certificates !!

Thanks.

This may be, but I have a domain and pointed it at the server ip already

Hello,

3 things,

1. Domain needs to be a FQDN (TLD or ccTLD)

2. Both 80 and 443 needs to be opened up for certificate issuance !!

3. Ensure the domain is added to the trusted domain list

sudo nextcloud.occ config:system:set trusted_domains 2 --value=yourdomain.whatever

Refer here for further instructions → nextcloud-snap/nextcloud-snap: :cloud::package: Nextcloud packaged as a snap (github.com)

Thanks.

1. The domain is a .cloud extension. It may not be .com but is registered with godaddy, and the A record is pointing at the hosted VPS IP correctly, no issue here

2. Ran sudo ufw allow 80,443/tcp successfully as rule was added, no issue here

3. I did this by using, sudo nano /var/www/html/nextcloud/config/config.php, once logged into the VPS Using ssh via the terminal (Local machine is ubuntu, server is debian) Once inside the config I added the domain…so I now have 3 trusted domains as follows:

0 => ‘localhost’,
1 => ‘domain.cloud’, (replaced domain with real domain)
2 => ‘testdomain.ncloud.is’, (replaced testdomain with real testdomain)

Does this look correct?

1. It should be noted, that the testdomain that the VPS Provider issued does have SSL activated, any comment here?

2. Also, doest nextcloud only allow commands from local hosts? Is this why I get a command not found return when I ssh into the hosted VPS, and attempt sudo nextcloud.enable-https lets-encrypt?

3. To answer your last troubleshooting message, I cannot use any sudo nextcloud.occ command without receiving a command error return. I notice that on all walkthrough videos on youtube, that the user is logged into their ssh connection as user@localhost, yet mine is logged in as user@nextcloud…could the issue lie here?

Hi,

Are you sure you have snap version of nextcloud?

Since default configuration file for snap is located here → /var/snap/nextcloud/current/nextcloud/config/config.php

That location seems something else, like AiO or native installation.

Thanks.

this instance of nextcloud was autoinstalled along with debian…i did not install any of this myself…tbh I didn’t ask for that they just did it, but regardless, what should I do now

Sorry to be such a party pooper, but if your provider supplies you with an installation of Nextcloud, then they are the ones to contact with questions in case that installation is not working fully.

I tried, they said they only provide the install and im on my own

Have you considered doing an officially supported installation of Nextcloud instead of using this click-and-play bundle from your provider?

After all, if you are intending to self-host a service like this, which does consist of a bunch of components, you do need some ability to manage it. You can’t just expect it to do what you want without any administration :slight_smile:

Hello,

I kind of agree with @rawtaz

It is a managed solution, so they are the one with most of your answers. It’s hard to troubleshoot blindly.

Usually under managed services, you are paying the provider do the stuff for you. If the service provider is providing managed service and failing on these basic stuff and asking you to fend for your self, then it is not a service provider you want to use.

If possible, claim your refund and choose a better one.

If you have to set things your self, then just select a known VPS provider like Digital Ocean, Linode and such (many others are there) and deploy an Ubuntu instance and install your own nextcloud.

Thanks.