New install of Ubuntu/nextcloud for MP4 files

Hey all,
I have just installed Ubuntu server with nextcloud.
Specs…
Intel 15 7400 Quad core.
8GB DDR4 Ram
6tb HDD 2x4tb raid-0
4gb swap (what ever that is?)

I followed some instructions how to install.ect

It is working but far slower then expected.
I have used SSH to increase memory on next cloud from 512mb to 2GB (is that enough?)

I am using the server for storing MP4+MKV files would it make a difference on speed to convert all to MP4 or MKV?

I am getting upload speeds of 10-20mbs seems slow as using local network without hppt.

Average load is 15-30 when browsing files apparently this is high. Ubuntu doesn’t show CPU usage in a percentage or something.

Is there any very detailed steps I can take to tune nextcloud for video files as I have attempted to follow other forums steps but keeps getting file doesn’t exist or directory doesn’t exist.

I have disabled and uninstalled all unnecessary apps on nextcloud didn’t make any difference.

Thankyou in advance

I am getting almost 10 times the speed of transfers and 10 times less load times, with 2 cores, same amount of ram.

You can bump up the memory usage. However make sure there is enough memero available for running your database and other services on your machine. 5GB is what I use. Also make sure that you tunes the right files. FastCGI PHP has own dedicated config files for example.

Read the Nextcloud documentation in regard to tuning. Memory caching, file locking etc.

Speed dependancy is a rather fluffy term. Is the spedd you experience for downloading and uploading? Rendering (playing the files using nextcloud video player)? Streaming it to your local player? What excactly are you doing when experiencing speed?

1 Like

Hello,

File type wont make much of a difference. Number of files uploading together will.

By default, Ubuntu Server LTS should have top installed,

so you can run,

sudo top

else, you can install another smaller app

sudo apt install htop

then you can run,

htop

It’s kind of a Tash manager, displaying CPU / RAM usage. There are many other apps available for CLI Linux Server for real time resource usage monitoring. You can install those if you need.

To be frank, nextcloud can but is actually not designed specifically for playback of media. Solutions like Jellyfin is more optimized for playback.

How are you uploading?

Via web Interface?
Via Nextcloud App with sync or such?

What method?

Secondly, install iperf3 and run a test between your client and that server to check actual available raw network bandwidth.

Thanks.

1 Like

I am uploading via nextcloud on Microsoft edge browser drap and drop.

I have now installed the netdata console to track system performance it appears that next cloud is using very little RAM (200mb ish) and more swap(not entirely sure what swap does)

I have done some updates via SSH with command… sudo apt-get update / sudo apt-get upgrade.
This has reduced CPU load but still running between 30-70% on netdata console.

Does this now seem normal for this type of build?

Approx 600 MP4 Files uploaded each file is between 900Mb- 60Gb.

I have been using VLC streaming to watch playback and it seems to be reasonably good but I was planning on adding about 6 more users with the view/download only permission.

Does this sound like a bad plan and I should abort mission now?

Thankyou for all your help

It is the upload speed via Microsoft edge browser drag and drop file to upload directly to nextcloud. Files are between 800Mb-60Gb

Streaming speed using VLC streaming playback is actually pretty responsive.

Feel like I have not configured something correctly.

When I read other step by step instructions how to set up cashe I get destination folder does not exist but I do see similar folders using SSH the difference being it has -Snap Infront of the nextcloud.PHP when I changed the lines of code in this file it crashed nextcloud, so I reverted back to how it was…

Thankyou

Hello,

Refer here → Memory paging - Wikipedia

OS will use some of your Physical Storage (ROM) to supplement the RAM. Linux gives you greater control with swap… You can resize and select OS priority of swap usage depending on your need and use case…

Check with TOP or HTOP… Idle CPU usage without any network or such activity should not be that high.

HDD has spinning disc. A laser is attached to a moving arm tip, which has to move over the physical spinning disc to read or write data.

If your 60GB file is a very high bit rate (Suppose 120mbps) 4k 60fps HDR Blueray type footage, then your HDD will be bottlenecked. It wont be able to read data fast enough.

Imagine 6 users trying to access even a low bitrate 1080p footage. But here the actual data is written in different part of the HDD spinning disc. That laser tip can’t be at 6 different location at once. So there will be some lag / delay for the disc to spin, data to read and then move to the next physical location of the disc to read the next set of data.

NextCloud and VLC are two different software. Nextcloud user permission has nothing to do with VLC. For that, you need to access these files via SMB / Samba share. Playing with Nextcloud user directory OS level access permission may cause serious issue with functioning of nextcloud.

Snap Nextcloud is a self-contained package. It is not be modified such way. There are few limited snap specific commands to modify few basic things.

Refer here → GitHub - nextcloud-snap/nextcloud-snap: ☁️📦 Nextcloud packaged as a snap

If you are considering deep customization of nextcloud, then leave snap & consider the docker or native package by package deployment of Nextcloud.

I use snap nextcloud with default config and mechanical HDD as my user data storage folder without any extra write cache. With my 1 Gigabit LAN, web upload (Edge or any browser) is around 55/60 mega bytes per second (around 600 Mbits).

Thanks.

1 Like

Thankyou all for the help it was the HDD that slowed everything down Gunna start from scratch with some M.2 NVME. And take the advice of using jellyfin instead of nextcloud as it seems far more suitable for my needs.

I learnt a lot thankyou for all the information.

Much appreciated :+1:

2 Likes