Need help to setup TURN server in Docker for Synology NAS

I need help to setup a TURN server for Nextcloud Talk for calls between callers behind different types of NAT. I realized after trying to call someone on my Nextcloud instance that was on the LAN while I was on cellular network that no video or audio was coming through even though the call seemed to have established. It seems a coTURN/TURN server would be the right solution.

My hardware is a Synology DS918+ NAS with DSM 6.2.2 running docker for Nextcloud 16.0 image. I already have the Nextcloud Talk app installed so the function is available to all users on the instance.

I’ve tried to find documentation to setup coturn server for docker to work with Nextcloud Talk but couldn’t find anything that was specific. I also tried to configure a few popular images from the registry but couldn’t get them to work so I’m hoping someone can lend a hand. My goal is to get a coturn server docker image to work on my Synology NAS so I should need the following:

1. Image name (I’ve attached a list of the top coturn server results)
  2. Mounting path - for docker image path to be locally stored on NAS
  3. Network ports to be redirected to docker image
  4. Any other environmental variables to include
  5. Any configuration changes needed to be made in coturn server config file

Hi,

IMHO you should only modify the neccesarry ip addresses in /etc/turnserver.conf and set the config in your internal nextcloud setup. BTW install a tool like nmap in your docker images to be shure that the different containers can be talk over te relavant ips/ports.

Regards,
Ralfi

Hi,
I like to run a docker container too. But which container I must use and which variables I need. Can someone help me. I use a synology ds218+ and Docker.

micky1067

the talk howto is this one:

for my understanding all the howtos assume that your server is connect directly to the internet. so the turn process listens to a public address.

in a container on a qnap/synology behind a router you have twice NATing.

and that question wasn’t answered in this article. @MichaIng any idea?

I use the instrumentisto/coturn image on my setup. It has some documentation on Docker hub.

Thanks … I will see if I can install it.
I like to have turn server in docker.
Nextcloud runs also in a docker image.
I know the problems is NAT. But My server react top a public address. I use the reverse proxy. Nexcloud runs perfect in this way. Only the turn server doesn’t.
I don’t know if it a good idea to install a native server at my diskstation.

The howto covers both cases, with direct internet connection and behind a NAT. For behind NAT, leave listening-ip and relay-ip unconfigured.

Hi @Michaelng,

Can you tell me which container should I use ?
And which variables are needed ?
And is it now a bridge or host ? I used all the time bridge
and port 3478 tcp and udp.
realm ist my public address like turn.xxxxx.goip.de

How I can change the turnserver.conf in a conatiner ?
Only by commands in terminal ?

you create the file somewhere on your “host” and map it as a volume with -v <host-path-to>/turnserver.conf:<container-path-to/turnserver.conf

or in case of instrumentisto/coturn image you use all option as a command line argument to start the process in the container.

as described here

You saved my day… thanks a lot

Is there someone has a running docker Installation on a synology diskstation?
I like to have one for nextcloud talk.

Thanks…