Ncp-scan error: There are no commands defined in the "files" namespace

Hi,

I have a quite young nextcloud running at home on a Pi 4.

I started not to move some data there. To speed this up (and to avoid strange errors when using the nextcloud desktop client), I copied the files directly to the USB HDD.
Then, I ran “ncp’s fix permissions” and then “ncp-scan”.

With the first set up files this worked fine.

Now, I copied the next couple of GBs, and when I run ncp-scan, I get this error message:

pi@nextcloudpi:~ $ sudo ncp-scan 
Nextcloud is in maintenance mode - no apps have been loaded

In Application.php line 583:

[Symfony\Component\Console\Exception\NamespaceNotFoundException]  
  There are no commands defined in the "files" namespace.           

Exception trace:
  at /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php:583
 Symfony\Component\Console\Application->findNamespace() at /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php:632
 Symfony\Component\Console\Application->find() at /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php:236
 Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun() at /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php:148
 Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run() at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Console/Application.php:214
 OC\Console\Application->run() at /var/www/nextcloud/console.php:99
 require_once() at /var/www/nextcloud/occ:11

I use:

NextCloudPi version v1.28.1

Nextcloud version 18.0.7.1

Any idea / suggestion?

Do the permissions and ownership of the new files match the existing files?

I now had the time to check: the permissions were different, I correct this and ran ncp-scan again, but got the same error.

What does this message mean: There are no commands defined in the "files" namespace.?
What is the “files” namespace?

I think that is in reference to occ which (I think) is being run on the backend when you run ncp-scan. On a normal installation you would run occ files:scan to do that.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/19/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html#file-operations

I don’t know what would cause occ to be missing commands. Seems like it would be a fairly serious error.

I ran fix permissions again, and suddenly the error was gone … no idea what caused the problem.
Anyway, thanks for your help!

there is a easier way:
dont put your cloud under maintenance mode :wink:
You must do the scan under “live-environment”…i dont know why, but i tested it:
if my cloud was put in maintenance mode i get this error: There are no commands defined in the “files” namespace.

if i do the scan NOT under maintenance it scans all correctly.

2 Likes

Is that a good advice? Or what risk it can implicate?

I’m not aware of any actual risks, and you don’t have much choice anyways since the occ files command doesn’t work when Nextcloud is in maintenance mode. However, you could stop your web server if you want to prevent your users from accessing Nextcloud while the scan is running, which might have a positive impact on performance.