NCP: Nextcloud data is encrypted with a password on external storage

Hello everyone,

I searched for a long time on search engines and on this forum, but the keywords are too close from other problems that I didn’t find anything.

I will make it simple :

I installed NextcloudPi on a Raspberry, and I use an SD Card for the system, and a SSD for store all the data.
I was curious about how, if tomorrow my setup crashed, if I was able to plug my SSD on Ubuntu and recover all my data.
But when I try to open the data file from the SSD, it ask me a password. Where can I find this password ?

Thanks for the help,

I have no idea about native NCP storage format, hopefully somebody with more experience in this area answers… but you definitely should implement additional backup as described in NCP manual

https://pant.github.io/nextcloudpi-test-docs/en_How-to-backup-and-restore-a-NextCloudPi-instance-using-ncp-config.html

because hardware issue with you existing Pi is not the only way for data loss… your SSD may crash, file system becomes corrupt, malware attack, user error - all this can result in a situation you can’t access your original data… for this reason you should always run automatic backups to a another storage and additional copies physically located elsewhere (offsite). good search term is “3-2-1 backup”…

Hello,

Thank you for taking time to answer me. I do backups of my data every 2 days, and all my nextcloud is sync with my main computer. So basically, I have my data on three devices !

But I just wondered how to uncrypt the SSD if I had to recovery my data directly from it ! :slight_smile: