[NCP] Error: App "News" cannot be installed because the following dependencies are not fulfilled: 64bit or higher PHP required

Hello,

I updated my Nextcloud Apps via the NCP Webinterface and received the following error code:

Error Code
[ nc-update-nc-apps ] (Wed Mar 2 18:14:53 GMT 2022)
bookmarks new version available: 10.1.0
bookmarks updated
calendar new version available: 3.1.0
calendar updated
news new version available: 18.0.0
Error: App “News” cannot be installed because the following dependencies are not fulfilled: 64bit or higher PHP required.
news updated
notes new version available: 4.3.1
notes updated

After that it was no longer possible to access my Nextcloud instance via the IP address in the browser. Instead of being able to log in I am informed that it is necessary to update the news app (picture 1)

NCP1

If I press the update button another error code appears, the detail log says:

Update vorbereiten
Log-Level auf “debug” gesetzt
Wartungsmodus eingeschaltet
Repair MySQL collation
All tables already have the correct collation → nothing to do
Repair SQLite autoincrement
Copy data from accounts table when migrating from ownCloud
Drop account terms table when migrating from ownCloud
Das Datenbankschema wird aktualisiert
Datenbank aktualisiert
Exception: App “News” cannot be installed because the following dependencies are not fulfilled: 64bit or higher PHP required.

Via search function I already found out that News App needs 64-bit OS, but why do I get this error now and how can I fix this?

Nextcloud version 22.2.2.0
PHP version PHP 7.3.31-1

It is a News app specific requirement and not a general Nextcloud one. Disable the News app if you want to continue to use Nextcloud on a 32-bit OS or update your enviornment to 64-bit OS if you want to continue to use the News app.

Thank you for your reply! I was able to disable the News Apps via SSH using this command:

sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ app:disable news

After that I was able to access my Nextcloud instance again.

1 Like