NC-Client: too much server connections >>> web-server blocks connections

Support intro

Nextcloud version: 19.0.3
Operating system and version:Linux 3.10.0-962.3.2.lve1.5.26.7.el7.x86_64 x86_64
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
PHP version:7.3.22

The issue you are facing:
Since 2 weeks, it appears, that all my domains and subdomains are down - not accessible from my home computer, but still from my mobile if outside WLAN.

Today, we figured out, that within 8 min (06:40h when I started my PC) until 06:48h (when my webserver started blocking connections) there have been more than 100 connections from my IP-Address to my cloud domain (cloud.mydomain.tld). I am running 2 clouds on 2 different domains and both are connected in the NC-Client for Win 10 Pro 2003 64-bit.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):
since approx. 2 weeks, maybe - but not sure, since update 19.0.2??? Just a guess.

Steps to replicate it:
n/a

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

no log entry today

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

don't belive, it is necessary, I also don't have access

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

don't belive, it is necessary, I also don't have access

Hope someone is able helping me, as I am not very happy with the NC-client establishing so much connections, that my sevrer assumes an attack.

My nextcloud is NOT hosted in a seperate server, it is a semi-webserver which allows installing quite a lot of scrips using Softaculous.

Looking forward to your replies, guys!

BTW: I tried to google it, but did not find any relevant result, perhaps I tried the wrong words, english is not my mother tongue.

CU

ScottishScotchmen :slight_smile:

I have the exact same problem.

Machines that already have Nextcloud Installed and that are fully synced don’t cause the block. The issue only occurs when I install a fresh copy of the Desktop client on a new Machine, the first sync it does makes too many connections to the Server and my hosting provider blocks my WAN I.P.

Thanks David, for your answer. This helps, as I had a client who was updated to the new version. In the end, my provider increased the allowed number of connections, sionce then, I didn’t face the problem anymore, however, I wanted to get more info on what caused the problem. Could also have been a misconfigurtation from my side… So thanks a lot for your feedback.

The Scottish Scotchmen

It seems to happen when the Nextcloud Desktop client fetches the Folder List from the Server.

I hope someone from the Nextcloud Dev team will be able to assist us.