NC All in one -> Restore from backup: rsync error (German Umlaute)

Hi!
I have a VPS, it ran buster 10 and a working NC AIO instance.
I wanted to move to archlinux (for other reasons) so i followed the guides but now i am stuck with no error to go on.

What I did:

1. Make a backup with the AIO interface (getting redirected there from the settings of an admin login)
  2. manually copied it off to my local computer
  3. completely wiped the debian installation and setup a new arch installation
  4. Re install nextcloud.
  5. Try to load the folder. Located in /mnt/backup with permissions
    sudo chown -R 30:0 backup
    sudo chown -R 750 backup
    (i got those from another script describing manual restoration and i assume the perms are the same)
    AIO Says ok, path integrity check says ok, the log of the failed restoration seem like all the files that were on the system, but in the end it says this:
total: matches=0  hash_hits=0  false_alarms=0 data=0
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1336) [sender=3.2.7]

Number of files: 31,016 (reg: 26,629, dir: 4,387)
Number of created files: 0
Number of deleted files: 1 (reg: 1)
Number of regular files transferred: 1
Total file size: 3.06G bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 0
File list generation time: 0.014 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 826.12K
Total bytes received: 2.37M

sent 826.12K bytes  received 2.37M bytes  116.26K bytes/sec
total size is 3.06G  speedup is 958.47
Something failed while restoring from backup.

And now i have nothing to go on. The log does not mention any previous error so i cannot investigate further

The thing that might be the cause are “Umlaute” since i am german some files use äöü and his post

mentions that rsync needs some special flags to convert these.

Can i add these somewhere manually ?

Hi, can you send me the complete logs to szaimen @ mail.de? I think there should be a clue somewhere in there where the issue lies. Thanks!

Sent. Thank you for taking a look

The mail was denied:
The response from the remote server was:

550 Recipient does not exist

Is your “@mail.de” correct? As an ending?

Ah yes, I made a mistake here. Correct should be szaimen @ e.mail.de

Hi, I suspect this is the issue:
rsync: [generator] delete_file: rmdir(nextcloud_aio_elasticsearch) failed: Resource busy (16)

This is known and can happen if you try to restore a backup that was made with AIO below v4.0.0.

After you’ve upgraded to AIO v4.0.0 or higher, please create a new backup and try to restore that. In that case, the issue should not appear anymore.

Apart from that, I could not find any other issue in the logs so the backup should have been successfully restored except this one detail.

Um… the backup was created on a debian distribution that does not exist anymore ? (“Does not exist”, in the sense of I formatted the harddrive and archlinux now lives there)
Can I pull a docker image from AIO that is a lower version and restore there, then update it?

Ah, I get what the problem is now and I’ll fix it with also restore configuration.json even if the former restore failed by szaimen · Pull Request #1982 · nextcloud/all-in-one · GitHub in the next beta release which is planned for this thursday. I’ll inform you as soon as it is available.

1 Like

This is now released with v4.4.0 Beta. Testing and feedback is welcome! See GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: Nextcloud AIO stands for Nextcloud All In One and provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance.

This worked fine, thanks for fixing it so fast!

1 Like