NC 21 and mysql 5.7 on Shared Hosting

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 21
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing:
Im just new. Installed NC via the browser installer (im not developer). It installed NC21…

Im on Shared Hosting with mysql 5.7, unable to update to 8, and I see the menssage that says: * MySQL version “5.7.28-log” is used. Nextcloud 21 will no longer support this version and requires MySQL 8 or higher.

What are my chances to keep this running?
What will happen when the support is no more?

Please, need advice.

Bother your hoster to get mysql 8.

https://www.mysql.com/support/eol-notice.html

Your NC will not work like expected.

Do you have other db types provided by your hoster e.g. mariadb or postgresql?

1 Like

Not at all.
Im sure that only mysql 5.7 is available. Have doubts about MariaDB, but postgresql not.

Will I need to take down that installation and restart from zero with NC20? Would that be the best way?

You could use your installed Nextcloud version with your current MySQL setup but as @rakekniven mentioned, it is strongly advised to use the required MySQL version or an equivalent of another database software/version. Not following the requirement, could lead to data loss in the future.

If you just freshly installed Nextcloud and have not stored any data yet, you could maybe check for another hoster, who support’s current database versions or just ask your current hoster, if they can provide you with an up to date database version.

If you have already fully configured your Nextcloud and maybe already stored data on it, you could create a database backup. Once your hoster provided you with a up to date database version, or you found another hoster, you can than import the created backup.

Hi CFelix.
I cant change provider right now. Nor the provider will change right away for me the database type.

I´ve decided to “Restore” to NC20 while my provider updates to mysql8.
I´ll try to restore my preferences and some stuff that I uploaded already.

Not sure if the momves works, but I´ve seen some people´s post about it.
Thanks guys!

1 Like

Don’t. Mariadb is mysql. Newer versions of mysql are NOT mysql.

What happened is this;
Sun microsystems was the custodian of the name “mysql”, but they got bought by the patent and copyright troll “oracle”, which resulted in the people responsible for mysql losing the name, so it was subsequently renamed to mariadb, after the founder’s daughter Maria. What is now being called mysql is just oracle’s fork.

Same exact thing happened with OpenOffice, which is why the real version of it is now called libreoffice. However, oracle since ditched it, so the original name is now held by Apache.

My OVH shared hoster works only in MysSQL 5.7 (still nowadays).
I did not face any issue with NC23

At then end of the day NC25 seems to work as well with mysql 5.7…
No issues at the moment.

1 Like

Thank you so so so very much!! I was stuck at NC 20 for a long time because of the warnings in the web UI and also warnings on these forums. But then I found out several people had basic functionality of NC23 (file sharing, that’s all I use!) working with MySQL 5.7 and took the plunge. Seems to work fine but am looking for how to get to a supported version (24 or 25).
It is soooo helpful that someone can confirm that basic functionality works with MySQL 5.7, file sharing is all I need and I prefer to be on a supported/secure version!

Thanks once more you rock!!

You’re welcome.

As promised I keep you informed.

NC 26 looks like working on this old OVH shared hosting.
php8.1 and still mysql 5.7

If only they could provide a up-to-date mysql…

So, I could not resist.
NC 27.1.2 looks like working with the same config.

FYI : I have a Collabora CODE server working on a raspberry (so on a separate host)
The only issue I had till now was with LibreSign, a java dependence did something forbidden by OVH. The access of the storage to the web was cut, and I had to uninstall Libresign in order to put back evrything online with OVH

1 Like