My cloud is dying... PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!

Hello,

I installed next cloud about 6 months ago. It’s worked flawlessly and we love it!!! We are all mac environment, because we are focused on design. All of sudden some of our team have been seeing nasty errors, and things are not syncing, or just weird stuff is happening. I’ve tried the basics, like deleting their local folder, creating new one, syncing back. Seems to get worse. It’s not erroring on specific files, but seems to be random.

I’ve been reading on the forums, about a few possible solutions. Where should I start? What are the troubleshooting steps?

• Repair Permissions?
  • Something about clearly table in database?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Nextcloud version (eg, 10.0.2): 10.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 16.04):
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
PHP version (eg, 5.6): 5.6.25

The error log just says that a file could not be opened (permissions maybe?) so check that.

PS: If its super important for you why dont you get professional support from the devs https://nextcloud.com/pricing/ ?

What’s the hardware or VM specification? It could also be timing out or out of resources,

I don’t see mention of your server OS, which may be helpful (I could guess Mac, but best not to guess). Also are you using Apache or nginx?

On your environment, have you checked permissions on the underlying data directory?
Do you have a backup?
Do you plan on upgrading your 10.0.1 install?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks everyone for your time to answer me back. Much appreciated.

I am using a mac mini server (10.12.1). We are design focused business, and that’s what we have always used. 6 months ago I was preparing to instal owncloud, and heard about nextcloud at the last second. I used some tutorial instructions from owncloud to instal nextcloud. Things worked great for over 6 months, flawlessly in fact. In my research today, it sounds like nextcloud won’t be supporting Mac OSX server going forward… So I guess I will need to move to new server eventually.

I have checked permission on all my drives, and run some first AID software, which is reporting the drives as healthy. I’m running owncloud as a service on the boot drive, and have cloud storage on external hard drive (4TB WD). My backup is a clone to an identical 4TB drive. (Both drives are 6 months old and purchased at the same time)

I attempted to update from 10.0.1 and the installer failed on the download.

I am using Apache

As the day has progressed things seem to be getting worse. And if I remove files and re-sync them, it seems to highlight different files as being problems. It’s not consistently the same file. The problem originally seemed isolated to the Mac Clients in the Office, but a windows Client is now reporting errors as well. I’m trying to isolate the problem or specific file but it seems to move.

I’m suspecting some kind of database problem, or maybe bad sectors on the drive, which is creating the database problem. I really don’t know how to check permission on the database? Or what steps I should follow to trouble shoot database problem?

DB doesn’t sound unreasonable, can you output any apache and database logs you have showing errors?

Mac OS server is unsupported (for several years btw) because file system issues btw

I hear your bernhard… I’m shooting way above me pay grade on this one :wink: One suggested solution I’m going to propose in our management meeting is to replace with PC running Ubuntu. Do you guys know if porting is a good idea with the database the way it is? I assume it would be smart just to start over?

Jason Bayton. Can I access the apache and database logs through owncloud? Or is this something I need to do in terminal?

Thanks,
D

Terminal.

You have a data backup, take a copy of the DB for safe keeping however yes I would absolutely start fresh. You’re going to lose shares, groups and users just this one time, after which you’ll then be on a stable, reliable system which should not suffer this problem again.

If you have a virtual environment and don’t feel like building the NC server yourself @enoch85 has some wonderfully useful pre-made VMs ready to deploy.

1 Like