Mobile client on Android does not synchronize

Hello Nextcloud Community!

I am facing an issue with the sync of files from my cloudserver to my mobile device (Android phone) and would like to ask for your support. Here are the details:

Nextcloud Version 28.0.1
PHP Version: 8.0
Operating System: MacOS 10.14.6
Nextcloud Desktop Client: 2.6.5
Nextcloud Android Client: 3.26.0
DAVx5 Version: 4.3.11-ose (403110004) ()
Android Version: 14

MY PROBLEM:
Files are being synchronized between Mac Desktop Client (from local folder) to cloud server perfectly. But the mobile app on Android does not automatically download the files. Actually no file at all is being downloaded from the server.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
The mobile app on Android is capable to write files as some subfolder is created within my data storage folder. So access should be given. But I am missing the files I intend to sync from my MacOS to my Android phone.

MY EXPECTATION:
The selected “Data storage folder” within the settings (/storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client) is expected to contain the synchronized files in the same way as it is done by the desktop client. On Android (Mobile) you can view the cloud files (Settings > All files), but they are not available locally (Settings > On device). I tried with different choices for the “data storage folder”, no improvement.

MY QUESTION:
How to make the Android App download files to the mobile device, primary from server to mobile device (other direction appreciated)?

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Tried it with the Nextcloud Dev App version 20231223, same.

Thank you for your help.

Michael

I’ve got the same problem. Can anyone help?
JolasMATIKA

3-dot menu next to a file/folder then Sync or Download. It’s an Explorer app by default. Also it can expose your files to compliant Android apps as a Document Provider, so often syncing/downloading is unnecessary (though obviously there are use cases for it too).

Hello There,
I did not manage to get it work with the Nextcloud App, but I found “FolderSync” (version 3.5.6 in use, you get it from F-Droid) and using that app you can comforably configure which files up- or download to/from where. So I’d recommend using that app (free, but you can purchase it to remove ads).
Regards,
Michael

I am facing the same problem with following versions:

Nextcloud Version 28.0.4
Nextcloud Android Client: 3.28.1
Android Version: 13

Data storage folder:
/storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client

It would be very nice, if the developers could help with this issue, otherwise the Android app is not really useful!

Facing the same issue lately, starting from the most recent NC app update on my phone.

My setup below:

Nextcloud Server Version 28.0.4
PHP Version: 8.2
Server Operating System: RaspiOS Bookworm, self hosted
Nextcloud Desktop Client: 3.12.3 on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Nextcloud Android Client: 3.28.1 from F-Droid store
DAVx5 Version: 4.3.15-ose (403150004) from F-Droid store
Android Version: 13 on Fairphone 3 Device

Trying to trobleshoot this myself, I note that the files is shown as syncronized in the Android client (automatically or if synced manually from the … file item menu) but:

• /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client/[myuserfolder]/[sub-path]/[document.ext]: contains an old version with old filestamp
  • /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.nextcloud.client/tmp/[myuserfolder]/[sub-path]/[document.ext]: note the tmp in the path - contains the most updated version with updated filestamp.

Manually moving from the tmp folder to the proper one works it around until next sync. It looks like the sync process is not completed in the last step (from tmp to the proper folder.

Posted in this bug thread as well.

Thanks!

Fix released.

1 Like

Not working on me.

I have the problem since this the 3/31. Android App downloaded from play store, version 3.28.1.

I ask to synchronize a folder with 5 light files (100ko each one).
After that, I go to look what’s on my phone, and it show empty folders.

v3.28.1 is still affected. The fix will be with 3.28.2. I don’t know when it will be released on the Play Store.

1 Like

Bug still open with v3.28.2 from F-Droid.