Minio for File Storage, but not "Primary" Storage?

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.0.5
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Rocky Linux 9.3
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.57 (Rocky Linux)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): PHP 8.2.18 (cli) (built: Apr 9 2024 18:46:23) (NTS gcc x86_64)

The issue you are facing:

Awhile back, I setup object storage (in this case, Minio) server on a different box as primary storage, and it was pretty laggy. I’m wondering if instead, I can simply use Minio (or any other object storage) only for user file storage rather than totally replacing the local file system config/cache/etc.

What I would like to do is retain a fast zippy NextCloud experience by having most system/config/cache/etc files remain on the NextCloud instance, while having user files (videos, my documents, etc) sitting elsewhere on an object storage server (e.g., Minio). I would like to do this so I can decouple the NextCloud engine from my personal data, to minimize the overall size of my NextCloud installation and help make it a little easier to backup/migrate.

Also, I realize I could simply mount an external storage folder, but an extra folder is a bit confusing for some users and annoying for myself. I would rather see a normal root folder in my personal file storage, which is already mapped to the remote bucket; It should be impossible to accidentally store personal files on the NC server by choosing the wrong folder.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Not really an error. More like a request for config help. I experienced this a few major versions ago and have not tried it in the most recent version.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Setup object storage server, somewhere away from the NextCloud instance
  2. Configure NextCloud to use the object storage as Primary Storage
  3. Note that the NextCloud experience in general seems to be laggy as all data is now on another server.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

I no longer have this config, as I have not tried this for several major versions.

Honestly not sure if that is possible. Mounting the S3 bucket locally and then setting your data to that doesn’t really work either (at least not well.)

I think you’re basically stuck to using it for everything or telling everyone they have to upload to a folder within their file space.

I’ve seen people mount an External Storage volume as their home directory root by by setting the “Folder name” to / when they add it in Nextcloud.

Interesting. I’ll have to find some time to experiment with this over the summer!

I actually got interested enough to give this a go on my test instance. It does seem to work. It even copied the skeleton over (or…it just created it on first login- I can’t remember when nextcloud does it- on user creation or first user login.)

I did get an error initially but then navigated to Notes by putting it in the url then clicked on Files and was fine. Very interesting. Kudos to you. ( @jtr as for some reason it didn’t quote your post)