Migration tool - owncloud 8.2.7 to latest nextcloud version

Migration tool - owncloud 8.2.7 to latest nextcloud version

Hi Guys,

I would like to upgrade an existing and proper running owncloud 8.2.7 () version on a 4.1.0-ucs190-amd64 platform:

root@www:/var/www/owncloud# dpkg -l | grep owncloud
ii owncloud 2016.8.2.7-enterprise-0 all cloud solution for data and file sync, share and view
ii owncloud-meta-8.2 8.2.7 all Meta package for ownCloud 8.2

root@www:/var/www/owncloud# uname -a
Linux www 4.1.0-ucs190-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.1.6-1.190.201604142226 (2016-04-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Fortunately, there are no additional apps which are installed.

My intention as first step will be to upgrade this owncloud instance to the latest nextcloud version. I intent to use the nextcloud migration tool. The migration tool is clearly mentioning that it is possible β€œThis tool supports ownCloud 8.2 to ownCloud 10, migrating to the appropriate Nextcloud release automatically.”

My questions are:

1. Have anyone experiences by migrating from an older version of owncloud to nextcloud using the migration tool?
  2. After the migration and facing issues can I revert the applied changes by the migration tool?
  3. Are there other suggestions/recommendations to migrate to latest nextcloud version?

I am really looking forward to get feedback,

Cheers,
Steffen

Latest migrations were probably from more recent versions. The migration script is reviewed from time to time but I can’t say if it works for oC 8.2.

No, even for major upgrades in oC and NC this is/was not possible. Please make a full backup, this is the only way to get a reliable system back in case it goes wrong.

After the backup, you can try the migration tool, it should bring you to NC 9.0. If not, do it like a manual upgrade (keep data/ and config/ folder, delete all the other files, put the code of the new version from Nextcloud server changelog, run the upgrade process via sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade). Then go step-by-step through all major versions. NC 9 β†’ NC 10 β†’ …

The update app gets more reliable after NC 11 I think, then you can start it easily through command line (from within your Nextcloud folder):

sudo -u www-data php updater/updater.phar

@ tflidd

Many thanks for your detailed reply and will do it as you have suggested it.

• Full Backup
  • Migration tool (if it does not work applying a manual installation of NC 9.0)
  • Upgrades of NC 9.0 --> 10.0, 10.0 --> 11.0, 11.0 trying to apply updater/update.phar

Many thanks and have a great day ahead.
Cheers,
Steffen