Migrating from ownCloud to Nextcloud

Upgrading from ownCloud 9.1.x to nextcloud 11 does not work:

Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported.
Update failed

Nextcloud - Migration guide also says only 9.1 to 10 is possible.

I’m also having problems migrating from OC 9.1.6 running on Ubuntu 16.04 w/ php7.

Migrate to:

• NC10: Downgrade not supported
  • NC11: “Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported. Update failed.”

I’ve tried the manual approach for both NC versions as well as the automatic updater approach for NC11.

Any news on a possible fix?

I edited the version string in the config.php file from 9.1.6 to 9.1.5 and the update to 10.0.5 went through without a problem. I then updated from 10 to 11 and finally Nextcloud 12 with the internal updater which worked without a problem.

That may work, but I’m not prepared to potentially screw up my database in more or less subtle ways by doing this hacky workaround. Thus, I’m requesting an officially tested migration process.

@worric Here is an more or less official statement on this problem:

I also get the error "NC11: “Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported. Update failed.” I am migrating from OwnCloud 9.1 to NextCloud 11.0.3.

This thread also discusses that error:

Also see this bug:

Is there any new information from the NextCloud development team on this?

@alfred Thanks, I guess it’s practically deemed safe to upgrade by changing the version info in config.php then (and, from what I gather, possibly in the version.php file too). I will test this within the next few days.

1 Like

Make a dump of the database before upgrading and make a backup of everything important (config and data folder most of the time) in case something goes wrong. Staying on the safe side is always a good practice.

So I successfully migrated to Nextcloud 11.0.3 using the version modification trick in config.php. My process was:

• From Owncloud 9.1.6 -> Nextcloud 10.0.5
    • download/verify/unpack Nextcloud 10.0.5
    • copy config.php from /owncloud/config and change version to 9.1.5.1
    • run occ upgrade
  • From Nextcloud 10.0.5 -> 11.0.3
    • download/verify/unpack Nextcloud 11.0.3
    • copy config once more
    • run occ upgrade

The only hiccup I got was nextcloud not redirecting properly, particularly when typing https://example.com/nextcloud without the slash at the end. On my other server also running nextcloud, the apache access.log revealed two 302 redirects when accessing the nextcloud instance in the same way: one from /nextcloud to /nextcloud/, and one more from /nextcloud/ to /nextcloud/login.

Turns out I had forgotten to modify the “overwrite.cli.url” and “htaccess.RewriteBase” settings in config.php to reflect the move from /owncloud to /nextcloud. Afterwards I ran “occ maintenance:update:htaccess” and it all seems to work as expected.

So now Nexctcloud 10.0.6 is out and as mentioned here, upgrade from Owncloud 9.1.6 should work with that. But there ist no hint in the changelog. Does anybody know if it works out of the box now?

Cheers!

Upgraded and migrated to Nextcloud from ownCloud. Doing this was easier and simpler than just upgrading ownCloud.

Used your howto upgrade/migrate from the command line. Simply brilliant!

Please to have finally migrated.

Thank you for the accurate, straightforward instructions.

2 Likes

Hi Lukas Reschke, I’m thinking of migrating from ownCloud 10.0.3 to nextCloud 12.0.3
Is this a supported migration path and if so should I just follow the usual upgrading steps as shown in your post?
Thanks,
Cliff

It’s planned for NC 12.0.4:

Or wait for an upgrade from OC 10 to NC 13:

1 Like

OK, that’s great, thanks. I’ll wait for Nextcloud 12.0.4

hello,

i tried the manual way to go from oc 10.0.3 to nextcloud to no avail.
can we expect to see 12.0.4 anytime soon?

Or is there another way to upgrade?

Thanks

12.0.4 is in RC2, we thought there was an issue but we can’t reproduce so while we will make a RC3 (better safe than sorry), we are 99% sure going to publish it on Monday.
This version will allow upgrading from oC 10.0.4 and earlier to Nextcloud.

:tada:

1 Like

Still seems like the migration script in https://nextcloud.com/migration/ is broken for owncloud 10.0.3.
Any suggestions how to migrate to nextcloud 12.0.4?

1 Like

I’m trying to migrate from ownCloud 10.0.3.3 to Nextcloud 12.0.4 but get the error:
Current version is 10.0.3.
Could not determine migration path to Nextcloud.

I have been waiting for Nextcloud 12.0.4 as I understood this would support migration from ownCloud 10.0.3.
Am I wrong or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Cliff

Hi Donn - did you find a solution to this migration as I have the same problem?

Should be fixed now, btw :wink: