Migrating from ownCloud 10.x to NextCloud 12.x - or not, and if so, how?

I donā€™t know. Maybe check the milestones on GitHub. But really: itā€™s just one file which needs to be modifiedā€¦ so only this Version.php change is no big deal on the one, no guarantee for a successful migration on the other handā€¦

This worked for me! I faked the version to 10.0.4.4 and could successfully upgrade from OC 10.0.7 to NC 12.0.4 and then to 13.0.

With Postgres? @eehmke

1 Like

No, MySql / MariaDb

@tflidd I have stopped upgrading my OC on 10.0.3 since a year hope that there comes a safe way to migrate to NC
Is there NOW a way for migrating with postgres? My last try ends in restoring DB and OC-installation :frowning:

I donā€™t follow closly all migration problems closely and I donā€™t know if yours was handled in a bug reportā€¦ but during the last year they fixed a couple of issues. There is a tag in the bug tracker to see the still open issues:

Since it has been a hassle the last time, you could use a copy of your setup (Iā€™m not sure how much is verified, perhaps itā€™s enough to use a copy of the database and give it a fake empty file system structure, or you delete a couple of users). This requires some work but you are relatively sure that it will work later on your real system as well and if there is an error, you can easily run tests, file a bug report, ā€¦

I had some problems with issues originating from ownCloud 6, and for current Nextclouds they donā€™t go back to old ownCloud setups with all possible configurations / apps and all errors you might have encountered, ā€¦ for that reason I take a similar/derived setup (same apps/features used but not all the user data) that I test with new beta versions. Iā€™m quite eager to find issues and get them fixed before I upgrade my productive system. For me itā€™s a way to check out the new version and giving something back to the community at the same time.

Migration oc 10.0.8.5 (SQLite) to 12.0.7.1 with migration tool is not possible: ā€œUpdates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported. Update failedā€
Tried to migrate manual to 13.0 - same error.
Is there any other way to migrate to nc?

Probably the best is to open an issue here: https://github.com/nextcloud/owncloud-web-migrator/issues

@jospoortvliet and perhaps a good opportunity to review the migration stuff. Is this still tested?

I believe weā€™re going to do a new release to ensure upgrades are possible. Iā€™ll check with the guys.

1 Like

Plan is that 13.0.3 et all can be used as upgrade. You have to go from oC 10 to Nc 12 and then to Nc 13.

Should work as of now again. Happy migrating! :tada:

1 Like

I have owncloud 10.0.8 and will switch to nextcloud.
I learned the updater stop when the ownloud is higher then 10.0.5.

When ich delete my owncloud (accept data & config) and install there the nextcloudā€¦ ist that going without Problems? i habe 30 Users with 300 gb files.

That should work with Nextcloud 12.0.9.
After that you can upgrade Nextcloud 12.0.9 to Nextcloud 13.0.4

1 Like

I will make this next Saturday :wink: thanks

Hallo Bernie,

one question. With my Owncloud 10.0.8 is it going only with the manual update ? Only way 2 is going ?

1.) Autoupdate Installier with index.php.1 ā€¦ ist not going ?
2.) Delete Owncloud Installation (hold Data & Config) copy Nextcloud to the same folder and start the Nextcloud.

I download yet the NC 12.0.9 for my update. I have time only at the weekend. To many birthdays :slight_smile:

I donā€˜t know about 1, but 2 should work (Edit: with 12.0.9!)

1 Like

Greatā€¦ I delete the owcloud and install the Nextcloud 12.0.9 ā€¦ no problemsā€¦ Thank you.

1 Like

So weā€™ve updated our migration page - the road is now open for upgrading from oC 10.0.10 to Nextcloud 12.0.12!

1 Like

I would like to take up the question again, as I unfortunately canā€™t find anything on it.

According to: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/18/admin_manual/maintenance/migrating_owncloud.html it should be possible to migrate from 10.0.x or later to 12.0.x or later (OC to NC)

I currently have OC 10.4.0 and the migration fails. Are there any solutions for this?

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes