Migrate NCP on a physical machine to NCP Docker

I am running a NCP instance on an old laptop using Debian as an OS.
This is working smoothly for nearly a year and honestly, I am hoping this won’t change :wink: but if, I would like to have a backup instance up and running quite fast.

My idea was hosting a NCP docker on my QNAP, the /data directory is already there and is being mounted as an NFS share on the NCP instance I do have now. This means, no real need to move data around.

But I have no idea what would be the best way to get the old backups (ncp does them daily) working with the docker container. Before I start playing around, I am curious if someone else did this already.
Because if I get this up and running easily, I can just have that “docker” instance sitting there an waiting for the day my NCP instance dies.
Thanks

There are a couple different backup methods available, which one(s) are you using?

When migrating to docker, you would have to:

• recreate the users manually or restore a dataless backup containing the sql database.

• mount the existing ncdata directory using the -v option

• run nc-scan

I am using the NCP mechanism :slight_smile: and want to migrate to the NCP docker image. So I assume this should be straight forward, but still thought asking would be good idea if anyone still migrated successfully.

Hi, I’m looking to do the same thing. I have BTRFS backups along with an existing NCDATA folder. I’ve setup binds from /data to the media/Data folder. Is there anything else that needs to be done?

I have also migrated to docker shortly. Was quite simple, made a backup on an external HDD and started the docker container with:
sudo docker run -d -p 4443:4443 -p 443:443 -p 80:80 -v ncdata:/data -v /media/simon/Backup_4TB/ncp-backups:/ncp-backups --name nextcloudpi ownyourbits/nextcloudpi 192.168.103.44

/media/simon/Backup_4TB/ncp-backups is the directory of the backup. I restored than the backup which included the data. I think I did not have to restore the configuration, but if necessary this can also be done easily with ncp.

Restored everything including users. You of course have to adapt the ip.

Honestly I am not a fan of ncp any more. I am going to switch to the original Nextcloud system for faster updates and less issues.