Migrate from php 5.6 to php 7.2

Nextcloud version : 13.0.5
Operating system : FreeBSD 10.4
PHP- Version: 5.6.3.6

My Nextcloud-Installation run’s well on PHP 5.6. As this version will no longer be supportet, I have to migrate to php 7.2. Changing to the new php-version, my installation is no longer reachable by the web. The page stays blank with no error-message. When I switch back to PHP 5.6, it runs normally.

Do I have to change configuration-files? Who can help?

web-server? nginx/apache2?
somewhere in the web-server config files normally is a pathh to the php version.

It’s a managed hosting provider. I don’t have access to the \etc directory.

did you open a ticket at your provider?

in case your provider doesn’t respond: https://nextcloud.com/providers/

Well, I talked to the provider. They don’t support nextcloud and they will not do anything about it. That could be a reason to change the provider. But before doing this, I want to check, whether there are settings or files to be changed when migrating NC from php 5.6 to php 7.2.

are you able to access the config.php?
could you post it here? (without the secrects and urls)

stop loosing your time, dump your provider !

It is always best to run your own server, or to have a ful access to a vps

This is what I found in config/config.php:

<?php $CONFIG = array ( 'instanceid' => 'xxx', 'passwordsalt' => 'xxx', 'secret' => 'xxx', 'trusted_domains' => array ( 0 => 'cloud.xxx.ch', 1 => 'www.cloud.xxx.ch', ), 'datadirectory' => '/home/xxx/www/cloud/data', 'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://cloud.xxx.ch', 'dbtype' => 'mysql', 'version' => '13.0.5.2', 'dbname' => 'xxx_cloud', 'dbhost' => 'xxx.mysql.db.internal', 'dbport' => '', 'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_', 'dbuser' => 'xxx_cloud', 'dbpassword' => 'xxx', 'installed' => true, 'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp', 'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN', 'mail_from_address' => 'xxx', 'mail_domain' => 'xxx.ch', 'mail_smtpauth' => 1, 'mail_smtphost' => 'asmtp.mail.xxx.ch', 'mail_smtpport' => '587', 'mail_smtpname' => 'xxx@xxx.ch', 'mail_smtppassword' => 'xxx', 'maintenance' => false, 'theme' => '', 'loglevel' => 2, 'updater.release.channel' => 'stable', 'updater.secret' => 'xxx', );

for me it doesn’t seem to have any depency to the php version and config. this is just the minimal setup.
compare to one in this description: https://www.c-rieger.de/nextcloud-13-nginx-installation-guide-for-ubuntu-18-04-lts/#c05

if you put this

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

at the top (or instead) of index.php you will get info about your php installation and config and if it is working at all.
be sure to have a backup of index.php

Thanks. I’ve tried the phpinfo in index.php. It works with php 5.6. With php 7.2, the server is hanging, no error message, just waiting for the server with no end. Now I made a ticket for the provider …

My provider solved the problem. When switching from php 5.6 to php 7.2, some processes were still open under php 5.6. The providers closed these processes and restarted the server, and now all works fine unter php 7.2. Thank you for your support, which was very helpfull.

The same with me.

I’ve got the same experience:
My provider allows to configure php version for subdomains (5.6, 7.0,7.1,7.2). When changing the php version from 5.6 to any other I just a HTTP ERROR 500. When using phpinfo() its obvious, that the selected version is used here, nevertheless just NC won’t work.
As its on a shared webserver I’m not able to restart the server or the services.

I’d just like to upgrade to NC 14, but don’t know how to do, because

1. if php 5.6 is configured the updater says I’ve got to use php 7.x
  2. if php 7.x is configured I’m not able to execute the webupdater

Any ideas how to get out of this trap?

Setup:
NC 13.0.12
PHP 5.6.40
mysql 5.6.40
Apache HTTPD 2.2.x