Migrate from OwnCloud wich CLI only

I am preparing a server migration and while at it, I need to upgrade the software. I have all the data on the new server and I would really like to migrate from ownCloud 10.9.1 (stable) to a recent NextCloud version in advance.

The new server isn’t hooked up yet so it needs to be done in CLI mode. I am used to ugrading NextCloud with CLI alone. But I can’t get it to work in combination with the OwnCloud migration.

• Downloaded and extracted latest Version of NextCloud 11
  • Copied config/config.php from OwnCloud 10
  • Run php occ upgrade (as the www user)

Expected result: I was hoping for a successful upgrade to NextCloud 11

Actual result:

Nextcloud or one of the apps require upgrade - only a limited number of commands are available
You may use your browser or the occ upgrade command to do the upgrade
Set log level to debug
Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported.
Update failed
Maintenance mode is kept active
Reset log level

I am a bit disappointed in the output “Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported.”. Maybe the problem could easily be solved, if I just knew what NextCloud-version-equivalent the upgrade is detecting.

Have you seen the documentation covering this topic?

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/maintenance/migrating_owncloud.html

1 Like

Not that one, I just read that one: Migrating from ownCloud to Nextcloud - Nextcloud
Thanks for the link, that looks more detailed.

1 Like

In the manual

It says:

See the table below for a version map, where migrating is easily possible:

ownCloud |Nextcloud
10.13.x | 25.0.x (but at least 25.0.2)
10.5.x | 20.0.x (but at least 20.0.5)

What does that mean for ownCloud 10.9.1? Do I have to upgrade ownCloud to 10.13 first?

edit: “However this does only work with versions that are close enough database and code-wise.” Seems I have to get to a close ownCloud Version first.

That table gets routinely updated. In the manual for older majors it used to say “or later” - e.g.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/26/admin_manual/maintenance/migrating_owncloud.html

I think the “or later” just got inadvertently dropped. A quick review of recent PRs for that page suggest that being at 10.5.x is the main key: Correct the version of owncloud allowing migration by SystemKeeper · Pull Request #11374 · nextcloud/documentation · GitHub

When I tried upgrading from OwnCloud 10.9 to NextCloud 20 it didn’t work. It gave the same error as above.

After upgrading to OwnCloud 10.13, I was able to upgrade to NextCloud 25.

I just upgraded to NextCloud 28 without any errors.