Migrate from NCP Odroid to Docker

Iā€™m currently running NextcloudPI on an Odrioid HC1 with a microsd card and a 4tb harddrive for data. I have the data drive formatted with BTRFS for snapshots etc. I also have an external 1tb harddrive to which I backup the data to as well.

Because Nextcloud is moving to 64bit only, Iā€™ve decided to try to migrate from the Odroid to a AMD64 system running Debian 12.

I figured I could just install the Docker image for Nextcloud PI and restore the Odroid stuff to it. But as always it seems way over simplified.

I am a noob at Linux and Docker in general, but is there a way to transfer over my 4tb BTRFS data drive to the new server and use that with the Docker image? Because the Docker Wizard doesnt have any provisions for ā€œUSB Configurationsā€ as the Odroid image had.

Thanks,
Robert

There is no longer Docker support for NextcloudPi, so adios. :wave:

Youā€™ll need to move to something else, such as All-In-One image or any other Nextcloud Docker image.

To use Docker youā€™ll want to read documentation on how it works. See https://docs.docker.com/

Exactly, welcome to the wider world of Linux and Docker. Youā€™ll need to learn some basics, but keep in mind you can always search the forum or read documentation or search the interwebs. Youā€™ll want to learn what volumes are in Docker and how permissions work in linux.

1 Like

It isnā€™t. They changed their mind and 32-bit support lives on with nc26

yes 32-bit support is available for #nc26 which is supported to the of 2023 but the move to 64-bit is unstoppable. for #nc27 only 64-bit is ā€œfullyā€ supported. Expect more issues in the future and only ā€œbest effortā€ support with 32-bit as ancient architectures are definitely not in focus.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/stable/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html

Thank you so much for the great information. I think after some thought Iā€™m going to have to give up on NextcloudPi, Iā€™m thinking of moving to Nextcloud AIO instead.

That is not what my understanding at all. Nc27 will have full 32-bit support. Someday, but not now, that will change.

If you have actual proof of 27 any less than fully supporting 32-bit please link to it. Better for all of us to stay on the same page in terms of 32-bit status :slight_smile:
Any links much appreciated.

Please follow the link I provided. here one more time as quote:

CPU Architecture and OS

A 64-bit CPU, OS and PHP is required for Nextcloud to run well.

32-bit systems are supported, with the following known limitations:

• Dates before Unix Epoch (1970-01-01) are not supported
  • Dates after 2038 are not supported

for me the statement is more than clear - they will not spend lot of effort for 32-bit support. If there is a quick fix likely yes but in case something works on 64-bit and there is no easy fix this will become another ā€œknown limitationā€ until the system is completely unusable on 32-bitā€¦