Migrate from managed NextCloud to home server

Hi,

right now I use a managed NextCloud, which is terrible slow. Thus I set up a home server successfully. The problem I’m facing now is how to transfer all the data from the managed NextCloud server to my home server. On the managed server I only have access to the NextCloud front-end, so no access to the command line, or the database running in the background. I need to transfer at least my main account with all it’s photos, files, contacts, tasks and calenders. At best I would also like to do a backup before the migration. I did not find a solution to this problem in the documentation, that’s applicable without access to the command line on the managed server.

What’s the best way to do handle this?

Best regards

a backup and migration of a server consists of two parts: files and database. in the database Nextcloud stores data like user rights, group memberships, shares and so on… if you can live without this data you can

• create all you users on the local server
  • copy the files from old server to the new server (into corresponding user directory)
  • run occ files:scan

after a while all files should appear in the web UI/client/WebDAV.

If you need database content as well, there is no way as to request a database backup from your current hoster and perform a restore into your local server…

2 Likes

Yes @wwe is right.

Addition:
If you want to download all data (not structure) i think the best tool is the nextcloud client on Windows, MacOS and/or Linux. https://nextcloud.com/install/# (klick Download for Desktop).
Then you can add a new nextcloud server (e.g. at home) and re-upload.

You can buy a VPS or a Managed Nextcloud with shell access, more performance and backup.
How much do you pay? Which country?

1 Like

Does the migration method via desktop app also work for contacts, tasks and calender? Or only files and photos?

I have used Cloudamo for around 3 or 4€ per month.

I’m still a bit unsure whether home server is the best solution, since this is the first time for me. Especially security wise, I don’t want my home network or data to get compromised.

The home server uses Proxmox as a hypervisor with TurnkeyLinux Nextcloud LXC and a SSL certificate from lets encrypt. I did port forwarding only for ports 80 and 443 on my router to the NextCloud server container and got a A+ rating on the NextCloud test page.

But since I’m no expert in self hosting, I am not sure if this is enough, or if there still could be hidden security problems. I have so many questions and find sometimes contradicting answers to my questions. Just to mention a few:

• Are there additional test pages or programs to check the safety of my solution?
  • Are there other things I could do to harden this setup?
  • Is using a VM instead of a LXC significantly more secure?
  • I have no Selinux enabled. How much more secure does enabling it make it?

Another consideration is creating backups. I don’t have a automatic solution in place right now for the home server. Maybe I should use another LXC container running on the same home server with a backup software and backing up the NextCloud instance two times a week to a different hard drive. But what happens if there was a fire in my apartment?

The third point is money, since energy prices in Germany are the highest of all developed countries for private use. I use a passively cooled low energy 4 core + 8 GB RAM solution, but it may still be more expensive than using a VPS or managed NextCloud.

Originally, I also imagined running a media server container on that server and something like Adguard Home or Pihole. But since setting up the NextCloud container was more difficult than expected and I realized, that I know some things about desktop computers, but very little about servers and networks, I am not sure if I will go that route.

What are your views on this?

I don’t have an answer for all your questions, but no, the desktop client does not work for syncing tasks/events/contacts to a different nextcloud instance. The client is files only. It provides notifications for other applications, but does not sync any data.

My preferred migration method is to sync the tasks/events/contacts to a different client that supports CalDAV (like MacOS Reminders/Calendar/AddressBook), then setup your new instance and update your client account information to sync your tasks/events/contacts to your new instance. Be sure to take a backup of your local Tasks/Events/Contacts before syncing to the new instance because it has happened on more than one occasion where all my local items are erased during the sync! A safer option may be to just download the events/tasks/contacts from your old nextcloud instance and then import to your new one (i think all the apps provide export options).

1 Like