Migrate AIO to new server

I am currently running Nextcloud AIO in a Hyper-V-Linux-VM on Windows. And I would like to migrate it to a Raspberry Pi 4.
Setting Nextcloud AIO up on the Raspberry Pi 4 is easy. But how can I transfer the data?

Thank you very much!

Sorry i do not know if it is something special with Nextcloud AIO.
But for migration you can read this.

Make sure that the Nextcloud versions are completely identical from the version number.

Hi, AIO features a built-in backup solution based on BorgBackup. If you use that, you can transfer the backup archive from your VM onto your Raspberry Pi and import it there in the first step when setting up a new AIO instance.

1 Like

Using the BorgBackup sounds good. What is the correct way to transfer the backups to the new machine?

I tried to copy the whole Borg-directory yesterday (rsync) and restore it from there. The restore seemed to run just fine. But after half an hour, i got the message that the restore failed and that I should check the log. In the log, I found an error-message that rsync could not restore all file-properties correctly.

Was it wrong to copy the whole borg-directory? Is there another way?

No, that should work. Not sure why it failed for you now and how bad the issue is. Can you post the logs here?

For additiinal safety you could check the backup integrity before restoring.

Thank you!

A few hours after my last try, the sd-card died unfortunately. And I forgot to save the log.

I’ll try it again as soon as I have a new sd-card.

Okay, so maybe we found the issue. AIO is not suited for running on an SD-card. Please use either a SSD or HDD.

That’s pretty surprising for me. I did not read anything about that in the docs (but did not really search for it either).

Do you happen to know the reason? Oder a page that explains that?

I guess we have simply not added that to the docs yet. Reason for SD-cards being unsupported is that SD-cards cripple the performance and will probably get wrecked pretty soon as they are not meant for many write operations which is needed for the database.

1 Like

PR here: add section about storage options by szaimen · Pull Request #1825 · nextcloud/all-in-one · GitHub

1 Like

@szaimen IIUC I should be able to create a borg back up on old AIO instance, move those archives to new AIO and restore from there?

I tried this, and the new instance had restored things like enabled-plugins from the old instance. But no remnants of the old configuration or more importantly the data.

I used tasks and collectives in the old instance which is all I care to recover. my old instance doesn’t run anymore, I think because it’s startup is dependant on an AD server that is no more.

Do you think you can help me recover this?
and do you know if there is a way to force the backup/restore process? as right now my old AIO is stuck starting and the option to stop containers to create backup isn’t present.

Also, I thought to try disabling the user_ldap module in both instances, and it fixed the new instance so that I could log-in, but didn’t resolve the old instance - therefore maybe I could continue to resolve the old instance and get that booting. if so, i could maybe copy and paste if that’s my best option.

thanks

Hi, please open a new thread for this. Thanks!

Sure, just felt I wanted to continue from your message above.

After I wrote this out, I found this: How to fix sudden dns resolution issues after the AIO update to v4.4.1 or higher. · nextcloud/all-in-one · Discussion #2065 · GitHub
I of course did the upgrades to help with the migration, and I do have appstore connection issues.

if i’m having other issues after this I will start a new thread. Thanks