Memory exhausted in list.php at line 36 after restarting Apache

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 24.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 22.04 via WSL on Windows 10
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 24.4.52
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1.2
MariaDB 10.6.8 running under Windows and accessed from Nextcloud via

I set up the Nextcloud server and have been running it for several days. After restarting Apache, I can no longer access the files area. Other areas of Nextcloud are running, but I some of the information (e.g. tasks, calendar info) are not showing up.

The Nextcloud log has the following:

Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 651061560733364224 bytes) at /mnt/r/site/cloud/nextcloud22/apps/files/templates/list.php#36

This is the first time I’ve see the error.

The error is persistent, and I haven’t investigated trying to reinstall and recreate it. I had added quite a number and size of files recently (e.g. I put in a bunch of video files totaling about 220GB).

Obviously I could never give it as much memory as it’s asking for (lol).

My Apache error log has a bunch of segfaults, e.g.:

[Sun Aug 07 17:07:30.786888 2022] [core:notice] [pid 368] AH00051: child pid 1401 exit signal Segmentation fault (11), possible coredump in /etc/apache2

Is there some kind of way I can get nextcloud to re-index the files? There must be some kind of corruption in the way it’s processing the files.

Thanks in advance!

Did you change something before you restarted Apache?

Have a look at this… Uploading big files > 512MB — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

Especially this:

output_buffering = 0

Thanks for those ideas.

I ended up reinstalling and re-importing the files and some other customizations. I checked periodically along the way whether the system would start up.

I found that there generally weren’t any lasting problems (the problem I reported above was consistent), but occasionally strange memory errors would crop up. Today a type error was also showing up in the calendar system, which seemed fairly consistent. On a hunch I disabled the APCu caching, and the calendar issue cleared up. At least for now. Maybe the wild log messages were due to some kind of corruption or mismanagement of the cached data?

I have a hunch there may be a couple odd things with my installation. The office editing feature is quite erratic, though the viewing might be OK. When editing (typing), the letters appear out of order, and it seems to stall and reconnect fairly often (then I get multiple indications of editors at the top of the page, even though they’re all me).

The Nextcloud system is kind of growing on me as I learn about its features, so I hope I can get it stable, at least for the basic functions. The fact that there are custom phone apps is great, though they won’t connect when my phone is on the same network as the server (since the domain name resolves to an external address and my router isn’t sophisticated enough to take care of that like the router I had 20 years ago lol).

I’d like to use Nextcloud for file sharing and possibly other features for a non-profit that I’m involved with, and possibly for family use as well.