Matterbridge - no success connecting other services to Talk

Hello,
has anyone successfully connected an external chat service to a Talk chat using Matterbridge?

I tried bridging another Talk chat on another Nextcloud instance and an XMPP multi user chat room. Didnā€™t work.

I donā€™t get any error message in the Talk UI. It looks like everything is set up correctly. But no messages are transmitted to or from the bridged service.

When I connect an XMPP MUC I donā€™t see any attempt to connect to the XMPP server in the log of the XMPP server. So I assume the bridge is simply not active/working.

When I check the Nextcloud log I see two errors:

First, Matterbridge is trying to access a log file in /tmp. Complaining that file doesnā€™t exist or cannot be accessed. Weird. No application should have trouble creating files in /tmp.

Second, everytime I go to the Talk app with Matterbridge enabled, there is an error that a password isnā€™t valid because it must contain at least one upper case and one lower case character. Ughā€¦ what password? My user password meets these conditions. So it must be something else. Iā€™m clueless. -> Could be an app token (2FA), they usually donā€™t meet theses conditions.

System:

Two Nextcloud 20 installations
Talk and Matterbridge installed from app store
XMPP server is Prosody with working MUCs

Any idea what might be wrong with Mattermost?

Regards,
Steffen

Edit: Created the /tmp file manually with permissions for the webserver/php user. That error is gone.
Now I getā€¦ ā€œCould not find resource core/js/files/client.js to loadā€ in the log. Yep, that file doesnā€™t exist (seems to be a known bug in server/core).

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried connecting to IRC on freenode, but that doesnā€™t seem to work either. I can connect quite happily with Hexchat and other clients, but all I get with the nextcloud matterbridge connection is:

time=ā€œ2020-10-25T10:10:21Zā€ level=info msg=ā€œRunning version 1.18.3 8b26e42aā€ prefix=main
time=ā€œ2020-10-25T10:10:21Zā€ level=fatal msg=ā€œFailed to parse the configuration: While parsing config: (5, 2): The following key was defined twice: irc.0.NickServNickā€ prefix=config

The ā€˜Bridge with other servicesā€™ section in settings also keeps going from ā€˜Enabled (Running)ā€™ to ā€˜Enabled (Not Running)ā€™.

Either Iā€™m doing something wrong, or it just plain doesnā€™t work, and thereā€™s no explanation that Iā€™ve seen so far with my brief search as to how to actually initiate the connection of if it should automatically connect as soon as you enter your connection details.

Same here, freenode it not working and telegram. if i hit ā€œsafeā€ it will be not safed.

Did you find a solution?

Are you talking about me? If so, no. I have (temporarily) given up.

1 Like

Update: It works now. :slight_smile:
Nextcloud 21.0.2
Talk 11.2.2
Talk Matterbridge 1.22.3

I have disabled the app ā€˜Password policyā€™ because it was causing the error ā€˜Password needs to contain at least one lower and one upper case characterā€™.

I could establish a bridge to an XMPP multi user chat room now. :ballot_box_with_check: