Bumping this but I have experienced the same thing on macOS. The FileProviderExt process has been consuming high CPU for over a week now which goes away when I kill the nextcloud macos app.
On the server I can see PROPFIND requests being rapidly fired for every directory. This started happening after I copied a directory with a large number of files, but that upload finished a week ago so I’d expect next to no requests being fired. Another oddity I’ve observed is some directories seemingly getting repeatedly uploaded with an incrementing number after the folder name.
If you have version number of the desktop client, your Nextcloud server, and if you are using the virtual file system might be a few information that would be nice to have.
Read around if you can find a topic that matches your problem, you can look for your errors, or read for mac-related error reports. Give a thumbs up if the problem matches yours, if you have additional information, don’t hesitate to share.
Ah ok those two bug reports exactly match what I am seeing. I’m on macos client 34.0.4 and server 35.0.1 using virtual files on MacOS 27.0.1
Edit: Actually one difference is I can see remote changes sync to my local, but otherwise I am having the issues with high CPU usage and endless PROPFIND requests.