Major version upgrade

Hey everyone,

I’m running a Nextcloud 20.0.4 instance and want to bump it up to 21.x.x

What I would like to know is if there’ll be any issues with the following:
I use the Social Login plugin to authenticate with Keycloak OIDC and use the default encryption module for the files. As far as I understood the encryption module is legacy code and going out of support so how would upgrading affect my entire disk of encrypted stuff? Can it be safely upgraded without loss of data, does the encryption module change and if it does can I somehow just migrate to using that instead of the default since lots of files have already been crypted with this one?

Using a NAS as storage, on a VM with Apache as the server and PHP 7.4.12. And Postgre for DB.

Any experiences would be appreciated, if it’s been asked before just point me in the direction of the forum I had little luck finding posts about it.

Which default encryption module? Please post more details. Post the configuration, app, …
And before upgrade make a backup.
backup and restore

You have only a good backup if you tested restore.

Literally the default module. There’s only the one: occ encryption:list-modules returns OC_DEFAULT_MODULE which is used in serverside encryption. It comes with

The version has been stated above and the configuration deviates so little from what most users have out of the box I don’t see the point in posting it as it’s hardly relevant to the question of whether there are major functional differences between 20 and 21 versions and how to go about them.

To create as little noise as possible with info… the setup is on a virtual machine:

Nextcloud 20.0.4
Database: PostgreSQL
PHP 7.4
Apache
NAS drive for data storage
8GB RAM

Serverside encryption app: Default Encryption Module 2.8.1
Relevant config:
<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'passwordsalt' => '*****',
  'secret' => '*******',
  'datadirectory' => '/opt/data/nextcloud',
  'filelocking.enabled' => true,
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'memcache.distributed' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' =>
  array (
    'host' => '******',
    'port' => 6379,
  ),
  'dbtype' => 'pgsql',
  'version' => '20.0.4.0',
  'installed' => true,
  'social_login_auto_redirect' => true,
  'overwriteprotocol' => 'https',
  'encryption.key_storage_migrated' => false,

);

i’ve planned to snapshot the VM prior to upgrades and the disk is fairly large so backing it up would probably take so long there’d be imminent data loss with users uploading files while the rsync runs,