Maintenance releases 24.0.5 and 23.0.9 are out, plus 5th beta of our upcoming release!

Originally published at: Maintenance releases 24.0.5 and 23.0.9 are out, plus 5th beta of our upcoming release! - Nextcloud

Nextcloud 24.0.5 and 23.0.9 are released!

As always, minor releases include stability and security improvements that are designed to be a safe and quick upgrade.

You can find the full changelog of fixes and improvements for these releases on our website.
Note: There will be no more releases of Nextcloud Hub 22. Upgrade to Nextcloud Enterprise to continue to get security and stability updates or move to Nextcloud Hub II 23 or 24. Don’t forget that running web-facing software without regular updates is risky. Please stay up to date with Nextcloud releases of both the server and its apps, for the safety of your data! Customers can always count on our upgrade support if needed.

5th beta of next release

In other news, we’ve published the 5th beta of our upcoming release. Things are really coming together already, so if you want to make sure the upcoming release works well for your system – now’s the time to test and report problems you experience! As always, we’re very keen to hear about upgrade issues as there are always more ways Nextcloud is used in than what we realistically can test!

You can get involved on our forums.

Ready to move to Nextcloud Hub 24?

Nextcloud Hub 24 received its 5th maintenance release and we highly recommend that you upgrade to benefit from the latest features. Check out the release announcement here.

🙋 User migration

đź”’ Smart file locking

🚀 4x lower db load

❤️ Reactions & media tab in Talk

🤩 Reply to calls & messages in Desktop client

đź’Ś Undo send & schedule emails

End of public support for Nextcloud 22

Nextcloud Hub 22 is no longer maintained. We will continue to release security and bug fix updates only for Nextcloud Enterprise 22. If you are a home user, move to Hub 23 or 24 as soon as possible. If you use Nextcloud in a commercial setting, check out our Nextcloud Enterprise as that is likely more suited for you. As always we strongly recommend you update to ensure you have a secure and reliable content collaboration platform that respects your digital sovereignty!
This is, of course, also true for apps: Keeping them updated has security benefits, besides the new features and other bug fixes.

Stay safe: keep your server up-to-date!

Minor Nextcloud releases are security and functionality bug fixes, not rewrites of major systems that risk user data! We also do extensive testing, both in our code base and by upgrading a series of real-world systems to the test versions. This ensures that upgrades to minor releases are generally painless and reliable. As the updates not only fix feature issues but also security problems, it is a bad idea to not upgrade!
This is, of course, also true for apps: Keeping them updated has security benefits, besides the new features and other bug fixes.
If you are maintaining a mission-critical Nextcloud system for your enterprise, it is highly recommended that you get yourself some insurance (and job security… who gets blamed if the file handling system isn’t working as expected?). A hotline to the core Nextcloud developers is the best guarantee for reliable service for your users, and the job safety of you as a system administrator.

1 Like

v24.0.5 installed. Lookds good :slight_smile:

After the upgrade from 22.2 to 23.0.9 all files in encrypted shared folders (aka Server Side Encryption) are inaccessible. #33961

why is there no docker image of the nextcloud:24.0.5-fpm image for amd64 architecture?

1 Like

Thanks for pointing to the issue…
haven’t had that before.

Every nextcloud update entails a challenge that needs to be found and solved.

Any user who expects everything to be error-free and available on the day of release is a challenge :wink:.

1 Like

I have the impression that the update problems in the releases Nextcloud 20 to Nextcloud 24 have become less and less. Actually everything goes through quite well with
php updater/updater.phar

More time for :coffee: . Thanks to all.

4 Likes

Can’t agree on that.
I’m using the docker version and only recently there were e.g. breaking changes on minor updates, a failing upgrade to the next major version because the last minor version wasn’t installed first, missing things in the docker image,…

But yeah, its free…

I think there are too many minor and major releases. perhaps more time should be invested in testing and less in features and new versions. All in all, Nextcloud seems too fast-moving to me, especially if you only want to use basic functions that don’t really change for years.

1 Like

@devnull You can also consider updating less and keeping an eye on what changes. It would be useful to have an alternative method for tracking updates, so fwiw I keep my eye on NextcloudPi releases and see when they decide to update.

1 Like

Unfortunately you cannot consider updating less. It is necessary to update through each nextcloud version in turn. If you miss two updates, when the next arrives you have to update three times in succession.

The point of beta releases is that they should be assuring that the production release will be error free.
Nextcloud releases are too rushed, too frequent.
Until a RC release has proved trouble-free, it’s not ready for production release.

You are referring to major releases, but I’m referring to point releases. Not the same thing.

Beta and RC’s are never trouble free and are designed for breaking. What I’m trying to explain is those who seek stability should not update by point release. And, always keep backups handy that you know how to restore before updating.

If you are on 24.0.3 and it works well, there is no need to update to 24.0.4 You can wait. <-this is as close to stability as we have. If you want to wait major releases it is easy enough to update to 25 and then 26 if you must down the road.

Understandable if you do not like the release method, which is based on hitting dates in a calendar, but it is what it is. :person_shrugging: It would be wonderful to have better communication and documentation for those of us attempting to run a stable system, but we can only dream.

The official statement and yours contradict each other. And as much as I would like to agree on the “waiting for NCP” if the delayed releases were due to more testing, I am afraid that the delay is mostly because of volunteer’s lack of free time to update the NCP code rather than thorough testing.

Hence, as far as NCP is concerned, unfortunately you have to manually force the minor upgrades if you want to stay safe. Otherwise you might be missing some critical fix for weeks or months.

In my experience the minor upgrades of the server work well. Minor updates of e.g the android app are a seperate topic.

1 Like

No, RC are supposed to be candidates for release. No reputable developer releases code that’s not working.

If there are dubious bits to test, it’s a beta, not an RC.