Looking for Nextcloud installation procedure for Mac

Looking for instructions on how to install and run a Nexcloud server on Mac.

I’ve been running servers before, even administrating Nextcloud from a 3rd party web host, so I’m not too new to this overall. In order to install Nextcloud on mac, I’m looking for what procedure needs to be done. What dependencies will I need - pre-installed even.

I am surprised that this information seems lacking from the internet overall. I’ve been searching for so long. I’m hoping for some tips and links to where this information might be found.

Also, if anyone cares to comment on why this information - for mac - is so lacking, I’d be interesting to hear. I know such info is plentyful for Linux, and also Windows. Perhaps running Nextcloud from Mac is generally a bad idea, or partially not supported?

Thank you in advance

Hi, I think running Nextcloud on macOS natively is not really supported but you should easily be able to run it inside a Linux VM or use Docker together with e.g. GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: Nextcloud AIO stands for Nextcloud All In One and provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance. to run it.

@szaimen Hi and thanks.
I have been contemplating and trying the options you mentioned.
However, I also found a whole guide written in 2020, how to install Nextcloud on MacOS.
I was wandering of some readers might look it through and share some impressions about how well this might work. The process described seems surprisingly straight forward. Installation of Apache, PHP and MySQL along with some editing of config files.

https://lipn.univ-paris13.fr/~cerin/HDU/nextcloud.html

Thx

Hi @Ange.Reid

I can’t answer your actual question, since I’m not a Mac user, but I rather have some general thoughts about this…

In general it is not a good idea to install Nextcloud or any server application on your regular computer which you also use for your day-to-day computing tasks, like surfing the web etc. Mainly for the following two reasons:

• Security concerns when installed natively on the same os you are also using for other things.
  • Obvious practical reasons and limitatations, like maintaining uptime and availability.

If this Mac is a separate computer, which you re-purposeing as a server, I would recommand installing Linux on it or use Linux VMs. Mainly for the follwing reasons, some of which you even named yourself:

• Most server apps you’re likely ever gonna want to use in a homelab are built for Linux
  • Most of the guides are for Linux.
  • Support on Linux is better meaning…
  • …If you run into issues, you can’t solve yourself, you will more likely find a solution.

Conclusion:

If your project is meant to be a challenge or proof of concept, do it! …and report back your experiences here. :slight_smile:
If it’s meant to be actually used, either by yourself, your partner, your family or friends, please do it right and use a dedicated Linux server. Otherwise, you won’t be happy in the long run…

…and your users won’t use it, if it’s not available because your macOS is updating or because you can’t find a solution to an issue. And issues will definitely come up at some point… :wink:

1 Like

@BB77: Hi. Thanks alot for sound suggestions.
It’s not a proof of concept, I’m putting together project collab server.
I guess I just like Mac :slight_smile: This one is a separate machine used for server dutys only, Nextcloud and FTPS. I felt certain it could handle Nextcloud natively. But you’re right. This is the first time I’m hosting Nexcloud myself, I will be needing support along the way - possibly plenty of it. So, Linux it is. Going to install Ubuntu on the Mac.

1 Like

Wow. I can’t get Ubuntu installed, because the mac refuses to open the Startup Manager mode, which lets you install from a portable medium. Reason unknown, and no way around it - I think. Been on Google and several forums about this for hours. Tips would be greatly appretiated.
So, so far no go for native Linux install. :frowning: Gotta look at VM or Docker then.

Unfortunately, I don’t really know much about Macs. Is this a newer model with M1 processor? On the M1 models VMs are afaik the only feasable option at the moment, but there are people working on bringing Linux natively to the M1 Macs. On x86 Macs, however, it should definitely be possible to install Linux, either as DualBoot or even as the only OS.

Thanks for encouraging words. :slight_smile:
It is a late 2012 mac mini, 2,7gHz/16gb RAM, and I know people are installing Linux on such models just fine. This one seems to just be acting up. I’m going nuts here, my Nextcloud hopes are backpedaling, coagulating on me before I even started. Aah! X-(

I’ve run all recommendations, and idea-threads to their end station now, including plenty of tedious systematic improvisation. Still nothing, just the same.

Not that this is a Mac support thread :slight_smile: But at this point reaching for whatever hope I can get. Even considering selling this one, and getting a used similar one, just to get one where the normal boot mode is working.
Wish me luck!

1 Like

I’m wishing you luck :smiley:

If you gonna to replace it anyways, you should consider replacing it with a “normal” PC. They can usually be found cheaper than an equivalent Mac and are way more flexible when it comes to hardware upgrades and the installation of different operating systems, except when it comes to installing macOS of course :wink:

Hah, I did it! I got Linux installed on the Mac. Much thanks to @daphne 's best luck wishes, I’m sure :wink: Though it took me days.
In order to avoid starting a flame war, let’s just say I generally don’t like “normal PCs” and the procedure of handling of their hardware :slight_smile:
Thanks for the support and sound advice, guys. I will be spamming the forum with plenty of questions shortly, I’m sure.

3 Likes

Yay congratulations, well done :smiley: :smiley: