Loading Spinner in Files overview

Dear Community,

I have a fresh nextcloud installation of version 18.0.4 on a Ubuntu 20.4 LTS System

All installation and security checks are green. But all Users see the “spinner” above their file list like in the picture below.

The spinner is only visible in the all files view but I did not know where this is coming from. The activated apps are reduced to a minimum to reduce the complexibility

The System is running via PHP-FPM/NGINX from the default Ubuntu repositories.

ok one step further.

When I create a readme.md in the users home dir the spinner is gone. The question - what do I need to disable/configure to avoid the need of a readme.md for all users?

The readme.md need to be in every folder. If not present the spinner is loading. Any idea?

Finally found the Text app to be the reason for this. After I have deactivate the app all is running.

Did someone know a reason?

I’ve seen a spinner before but it would eventually stop after a few seconds. I haven’t seen it at all since eliminating the rich workspace feature that creates and saves readme markdown files in every folder. NC18 allows disabling the workspace using occ in a terminal or with the OCCWeb console app.

See this post:

The workspace will be disabled for all users. You can continue using Text, it just won’t automatically create readme.md files anymore and the workspace will disappear.

If the spinner persists, trouble shooting should start with disabling both the Text and Recommendations apps that occupy that part of the screen. Beyond that you’ll want to examine server settings for Nextcloud, PHP and web server, etc.

thx @RAlm

that was something I did not consider - maybe also because this function was something I wasn’t aware of.

I’ve had similar issues in other apps. If it happens again elsewhere, try using other browsers. I’ve found I get spinners or flaky behaviour when using Pale Moon, Edge, or Vivaldi. I only get consistent behaviour when using Waterfox or Firefox.

We shouldn’t have had browser incompatibilities in 2000, much less 2020, but we seem to be back in the good 'ole days of “Page best viewed in FaveBrowser”.