Linux - webdav - Synchronisation is not working as I thought

Hi,
I’m running nextcloud on a server at subdomain. Everything is working fine. Access via web is working, sharing as well.
Now I connect my account with webdav to my local linux-pc. Everthing done like shown here : https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/20/user_manual/en/files/access_webdav.html, no Certifaicate installed.
If nextcloud is mounted - synchronisation is working.
if unmount - create/copy a file locally - and than mount again - these new files are gone and not synchronized :frowning: the other way round is also not working.
Is that to much what I expect - is there something wrong?
I have no idea - would be great if anyone can give me a hint :slight_smile:
best regards
Juergen

Hi,
hmmm more than a month is gone now :frowning:
Has nobody any idea or experience regarding this problem?

best regards
Juergen

Hi @juergen_P

How extactley do you mount the WebDAV share. And what Linux distribution and desktop enviroment are you using?

If you are mounting it like discribed here to a folder on your local file system, this is the expected behavior. Mounting an external storage like WebDAV, SMB, NFS etc to a local folder does not synchronize anything. It only shows you the contents of the external storage, inside the local folder you mounted it to. And when you copy or move files to this folder while your Nextcloud is mounted, they got directly uploaded and stored to your Nextcloud. If the WebDAV share is unmounted, the files go to the local folder instead. And yes if you remount your WebDAV share, they will not get synchronized…

If you want a real two-way sync and to be able to work with your files while your computer is offline, you have to use a sync client like the Nextcloud Desktop Client.

Hi,
yes I’ve done it exactly as described in your link :frowning:
I’m runing:

Blockzitat
System: Kernel: 5.4.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6
wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine: Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A v: N/A serial: Chassis: type: 3
serial:
Mobo: Gigabyte model: H77M-D3H v: x.x serial: UEFI: American Megatrends v: F9
date: 08/22/2012

OK, understood, I need to find the correct Nextcloud Desktop Client.
Will do so…

thanks + best regards
Juergen

one additional question: if I use Nextcloud Desktop Client must I disable the webdav-mount?

No, you can have both running

Another possibility to mount your share would be this…

It’s essentially the same thing as you are doing now, but would prevent you from saving files to the mount point, when your WebDAV share is not mounted. But you still would have to be online to work with the files from your Nextcloud.

Since Linux Mint 20.1 is based on Ubuntu 20.04 you could use this PPA to get the latest version:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nextcloud-devs/client

sudo apt update && sudo apt install nextcloud-client nemo-nextcloud

No you can use both in parallel. But make sure you use the sync folder of the desktop client when your computer is offline and / or your WebDAV-mount is not mounted. And under no circumstances mount something with davfs2 to the the Sync folder of the Nextcloud client. You would unravel the fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe!. Just kidding… :wink: But don’t do it!

Hi bb77,

many thanks!!
Now it works as expected :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

best regards
Juergen

1 Like