Linux distribution packages for the desktop clients - help out!

the distribution does - and yeah, that’s what we would like to see :wink:

The PPA is a great step forward for this, I now link to it from our install page.

Can i use this ppa for debian jessie?
If yes, which ubuntu-version should i choose?

The new location of the Nextcloud client PPA is ppa:nextcloud-devs/client. To start using it, issue the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nextcloud-devs/client
sudo apt-get update

You can remove the old one by:

sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:ivaradi/nextcloud-client-ppa

I am going to update only the new PPA and will delete the old one in some time.

No Nextcloud icon in panel on Mint

AFAIK the PPA is not usable for Debian Jessie. However, you can try the following repository:

deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ivaradi//Debian_8.0/ /

Nextcloud-client on Debian 8

This deb did it, thank you.

Nice, how would I get this? As in: download the code, build it, start application… or can I download the AppImage itself somewhere?

Thanks.
Having a PPA regularly updated is great :gift:.

The desktop sync client did not really work for me @ivaradi . I use Linux Mint 18 x64 and Nextcloud 11.0.1

It worked about for half a day. I just uploaded a lot of files with the client and after a while it quit working, while uploading (!). I always had an “can not connect” error although i can connect by ssh and browser from the same machine.

Then i uninstalled and reinstalled it, it worked again for a (short) while and then again: “can not connect”.

That was too much for my nerves then and therefore i switched back to the Owncloud client of SuSE repo. That worked for me, since months.

PS: I don’t understand why Nextcloud is not offering an official repo for the Linux client. For example, Webmin is also open source and they provide an official repo.

Sure, you can download the AppImage once https://github.com/nextcloud/client_theming/issues/61 has happened.

It is strange, since, AFAIK, the actual code should be the same for both versions, only the icons and some names have changed. Maybe the developers working on the code can look into it.

Are there any plans to do a rebuild for zesty? It just hit Beta 1. Likely it would just be a rebuild. I could potentially help with packaging.

I have uploaded the Zesty packages into the PPA and had them built. The building was OK, so it probably even works. Please, give them a try and let me know the results.

Is it still this?

sudo apt-get install nextcloud-client

Help us test upcoming client releases!

yes, more infos here :slight_smile:

https://launchpad.net/~nextcloud-devs/+archive/ubuntu/client

Seems to work great! Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: Debian-repo not working with Debian 9

2 posts were split to a new topic: No Nextcloud icon in panel on Mint

2 posts were split to a new topic: Problem updating client with repo

For some distributions, there are already sources to install the Nextcloud sync client via packet manager. @jospoortvliet posted a summary of all available distros:

People start to post their individual problems on this topic. If you need help building packages for your distribution or already existing packages have bugs, please open a new thread.