Limit the contacts that appear to a user when sharing to contact only within their "Groups"?

Nextcloud Version 16.0.0

Scenario:

We have a few nextcloud “groups” on our Nextcloud instance. Given their roles and governance we do not want the contacts / people in one group to appear automatically in the auto completes for things like shares, contact search etc.

Can Nextcloud limit the contact search on the share or in the search top right of navigation to just people in your specific group?

Can this function be inherited then to all apps such as chat, talk, search, share etc.

I guess if this is not a setting, it would be a very useful one. I will put in a feature request as it saves the organisation setting up an instance for each group.

Any advice or information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Col

1 Like

Yeah, when I was testing nextcloud talk I found it really annoying that people are able to see and talk to people from groups they are not assigned to.

there should be a way to restrict that.

1 Like

@Adures In our organisation for audit reasons (conflict of interest) 3 different groups should not be able to interact on the Nextcloud instance, however, keeping it in one instance makes sense from a maangement perspective of course.

The areas I see that you can currently see users in all groups are:

1. When you share something
  2. The search
  3. The talk and chat apps
  4. The activity stream (depends but sometimes)

I will log a features request to maybe get this thought about, I guess it’s taking groups to another level if it can’t be done now.

Thanks for replying @Adures

Colm

This has been requested many times before, this bug has been there since the first release of NC!

1 Like

I would imagine this was by design rather than a bug but I think now with the improved user and group management screens it would make sense if you had a admin setting to limit the ‘suggestions’ array that returned with the sharing / contacts autocomplete function to just people in their group.

I have reviewed the file nextcloud/core/js/sharedialogview.js where there is the code that handles the return to the frontend of the suggestions array. If this could be altered to simply cross reference the group and members it would be a great feature.

I could possibly create the function myself but Nextcloud might want to add it as a setting. I have logged the request in Github so fingers crossed it gets a look in. I’m holding off using Nextcloud for our org until that works as conflict of interest between groups limits me!

@Adures - added some detail.

I just wanted to support the proposal. We want to manage a single instance while keeping groups of users from seeing each other. Is that possible?

2 Likes

@eldelacajita I am not sure this feature request will get looked at but for me it’s stlll a reason I can’t deploy it for us right now. Have you come up with any way in Nextcloud to to do this?

Cheers.
Col

I enabled this option under ‘Sharing’ settings: “Restrict users to only share with users in their groups”

imagen

It seems to work just fine. Users that don’t have a group in common won’t see their names autocompleted/suggested while trying to share something, but they can still share things between them if they know their full federated cloud ID like user@server.com. So users without a group in common are invisible to each other by default.

That does the trick for us.

4 Likes

It works for me, too.
Thanks

1 Like

How hard would ik be to set this checkbox, but that it could be possible to include certain groups (like the group ‘admin’).

Reason: I’m the admin, I’dd like anyone to contact me via chat in nextcloud… or people want to (test) share a calendar or something else…

Could you tell me how to “hotwire” this, or could you add that option?

Hi, @Eesger, and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, I don’t know if what you ask for is possible. Like, making a certain group or user (admin) be an exception to the restriction.

This is a simple workaround: Make your user (admin) part of all the user groups, so they will be able to see each other… and yourself.

As an alternative (but I can’t imagen why you would want to do this), you can create a copy of a group in which the admin is included. So you would have (Group X) and (Group X with Admin).