LibreOffice Online... please!

I do like the simplicity and minimal dependencies of the WebODF approach. The big drawback, is that the underlying engine of webODF, unlike LibreOffice, only supports odt at a level beyond viewing being a technical preview at this stage, so we’re not likely to see the ability to use spreadsheets or presentations anytime soon if we go that route.

Adding these is comparatively (note: *comparatively ) simple by comparison with the LibreOffice based approach.

1 Like

I would agree that adding an app that interfaces with LOO would be a good solution. Such an app could be configurable to use the local Linux client as well.

1 Like

I concur with most of this post, collaboration and online editing should be an integral part of the core of NextCloud. Looking forward to test this new environment and hopefully it will be a smooth transition from OC to NC.

Just tried COOL V1.0 and it works pretty well for text documents. It feels like you’re using a slow computer, but it doesn’t really matter if you’re making corrections or adding comments.
It’s unusable for presentations, you’ll quickly open the laptop and download the file instead of trying to do anything online.

COOL? What’s COOL? I haven’t heard of it, unless it was by another name…

Sorry, I thought it was mentioned in this thread, but that was in another one:

So when are we going to get this???

I intend to upgrade my owncloud instance at the first sign of a new owncloud/nextcloud stable version which includes LibreOffice Online in an easily installable form.

2 Likes

well you do make COOL sound bad. I hope they can increase performance… When I played with CODE it seemed quite OK, performant enough. I hope there’s room for optimization :wink:

The good thing is that anybody can ask to play with the demo and make up their own mind :).
I tried to look at it from the perspective of someone who would want to use it on the road, not a geek :wink:

Is COOL even open source? Would it be possible to have a plugin that uses a snapshot of CODE that is somewhat stable? Running another VM that is barely stable isn’t all that great…

Good question, I don’t think it is. They’re probably using a dual license like ownCloud does and one reason they work well together.

Actually as far as I know COOL is fully open source. They don’t do Open Core, which is why they work well together with Nextcloud :stuck_out_tongue:

Note that you can’t mix AGPL and proprietary code so you can’t install an open source app in an closed version of something… Well, you can, as long as you don’t give anyone else access.

Would be good if someone could try to compile CODE tagged COOL_1.0 and see if it works. If that’s the case then their communication is quite opaque since they don’t release packages for COOL.

They’re using the Mozilla Public License v2.0

the Documents app is under the AGPL and that’s what the ownCloud integration app from COOL and CODE are based on, pretty sure it’s not MPL.

The rest of CODE and COOL might be MPL yeah.

And yes, it would be cool if somebody built COOL. Their communication is opaque because this is aimed at business/enterprise and not home users–they don’t spend time on that. Actually, if people make easy to use COOL packages for free they will have a harder time selling their product :wink:

Yeah, but that’s just a shell :slight_smile:

Let’s hope their business strategy is not based on selling license then :slight_smile:

no, they only do open source, their business is based on selling support and helping with installation/scaling of installations. That is why they don’t put too much effort in making it easy to install, that is what they sell :wink:

Another approach would be to use Etherpad and Ethercalc. There is already a plugin for Owncloud called Ownpad.

Yes. I use it on my server. Atm seems the most reliable solution. DocumentsApp tends to crap out when loosing connection to the server turning the documents to be unreadable any more, and collabora is just slow atm and does not let two ppl edit document at the same time (at least not when I checked last time).
The only problem is of course the fact that those pads are public. The randomized pad names solve the problem (at least makes it harder to find pads), but I cannot guarantee they are safe. I still havent found a solution to basically put a lock (password) on the pads you would prefer to have private. I hope someone figures something out soon. Of course there are things like titanpad and mypad plugin but as I use LDAP I wouldnt want to have yet another set of credentials. I would just prefer simple password lock like when sharing file via NC/OC.

Etherpad and Ethercalc are entirely different tools, neither has support for real documents (with images and tables and such stuff). And the gap between bold and italics vs full ODF support is so massive there’s no way these tools will ever support that.

As I said - we’ll keep ownCloud Documents for a simple, easy to install and quite capable tool for editing odt files and we’ll work with Collabora/LibreOffice to have a harder to install, more powerful solution in place.

Not that Etherpad or Ethercalc aren’t cool, they are - but I just don’t see much benefit for integration there.

1 Like