LDAP groups are empty, but users are showing their groups

Hi,

I have successfully configured Nextcloud 23 to connect to LDAP and users can authenticate. What is bothering me is that, while the groups are found and displayed on the “Users” section, and while I see group membership on each user’s row, when I click on a group on the sidebar, no user is shown.

That is, user A is member of group A_G, it shows on his row. Group A_G shows on the sidebar, but when I click there, it doesn’t show A (nor any member).

Any clue on how to solve this?

Best,
Francis

Hi,

Exact same problem for me.
Users are synced and can login (ldap authentication). Groups membership seems okay on the user list.

Group membership also works for Group Folders (user sees the group folder, based on their ldap groups).

Groups are also listed, however they show no members:

Same result with occ group:list, command returns groups names but no member.

Trying to play with ldap filters, but no change so far.

Nexctcloud 23.0.

Hope someone has an idea :slight_smile:

Aurélien

What worked for me was to set group membership to AD on the expert settings. Let me knowing you don’t find them.

I have the same problem with OpenLDAP server. Users are inetOrgPerson, groups are posixGroup. On the Active Users list, users have the list of groups they are member of listed correctly. Unfortunately, the lists of users for each LDAP group is empty.

I have to leave Group membership association set to memberUid. The posixGroup has no member (AD) attribute.

Found the answer to my problem: After enabling uid as optional Login Attribute, the groups started showing users. Before, I only allowed users to login using their e-mail address. Obviously, Nextcloud iterates Group-Member association against LDAP Filter on the Login Attributes page.

That worked like charm for me. Adding the uid as login attributes made everyone appeared in LDAP groups. Thank you!!

Changing group membership to AD in the advanced settings didn’t work on my end.

Glad it worked but it is a rather strange behaviour though.

UPDATE: After updating to NC28 LDAP groups are empty again. After refreshing the config users reappeared but then after restarting the instance, they were gone again. So it seems NC28 has issues with syncing users inside groups.

I agree the Nextcloud behavior regarding LDAP group membership is odd if not flawed. Unfortunately, I don’t have time or energy to investigate and file an issue report in.

Possibly related to this bug report where NC28 keep trying to add and delete users in LDAP groups: [Bug]: Activity Report - Administrator removed you from group XXX · Issue #43272 · nextcloud/server · GitHub