Just updated ubuntu 22.04.1 server packages to the latest NC 25.0.2

The ubuntu update also updated php to php8.1.13 There is a newer version php8.2.0 Dec 8 2022, should we wait for the nextcloud team approval or is it compatibility safe enough to upgrade? I am in no rush to get a log in ERROR 404.

The docs list php 8.1 as recommended and don’t list 8.2 as supported yet. I would stay on 8.1.

1 Like

Thanks, if ubuntu updates to php8.2 it may break NC 25. Sharing this finding. I am not sure if if it is applicable.

MySQLi Will No Longer Be Compiled With libmysql

Starting with PHP 8.2, MySQLi with libmysql won’t be supported, and the attempt to do so will result in a configuration error. In the past, PHP has supported two database libraries for interfacing that are MySQL databases: mysqlnd and libmysql.

As of PHP 5.4, MySQL has been the default library, and you can compile MySQLi through extensions. This won’t likely cause any critical issues for developers.

However, the two of the most significant features supported by libmysql that aren’t accessible with MySQLnd are supported, i.e., authentication and automatic reconnecting through LDAP and SASL

1 Like

I’m not sure about that, but the system requirements are here. https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/stable/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html#server

Thank you. If anyone needs it , posting my php8 install CLI for the packages.
sudo apt install
imagemagick php8.1-common php8.1-mysql php8.1-xml php8.1-curl php8.1-gd php8.1-fpm php8.1-gmp php8.1-imagick php8.1-cli php8.1-dev php8.1-imap php8.1-mbstring hp8.1-opcache php8.1-soap php8.1-bz2 php8.1-bcmath php8.1-zip php8.1-intl php8.1-apcu php8.1-gmp php8.1-igbinary php8.1-memcached php8.1-msgpack php8.1-readline php8.1-snmp php8.1-zip -y

1 Like

NO!

this morning I ran an “apt update” and then “apt upgrade” drinking coffee, and not reading what I was gonna to upgrade, and found a broken NC instance due to php 8.2

Just because I didn’t know what the problem was, I had to “park” the active instance and try to install a new one, just to read at first screen “This version is not compatible with PHP8.2”

Since then was a deep run into dependencies and other little piece of sh… software (!) to have re-run smoothly my NC instance

And tomorrow I have a demo with a potencial customer (!)

Now is all running smooth and quietly :smiley:

1 Like

One of the reasons I like Docker so much… Since it includes its own php and everything else it needs, that kind of problem will never happen.

I tried install Docker on a Deb machine, but it was a pain make it run silently and smoothly, I used it (Docker) on a macos machine and it was a real pain in the ass (randomly stopping o restarting)

No, thanks :smiley:

Don’t know what to tell you there. My Docker setup has been running smoothly since NC 16 and even went through an OS upgrade without missing a beat.