Just to make sure I'm doing this as intended

Setup:

My system runs on Proxmox, with Unraid virtualised to handle storage.
My Nextcloud now runs as a VM on Proxmox, instead of a Docker on Unraid, for more control.
The Nextcloud VM Disk is stored on an NFS share from the Unraid VM. Iā€™ve had no problems with this so far.
Iā€™ve put the NC Datadisk on a SMB share from Unraid.

Question:

Is this setup a proper way to run Nextcloud, or am I trying to Frankenstein something together that will come back to bite me in the future? It seems to work fine for the most part, but I sometimes get sync errors from my DAVx on my phone, and the SeedVault backup on my phone. Something like ā€˜misconfigured serverā€™.
Iā€™m not done yet with the configuration (still need to get a reverse proxy going, for example), but Iā€™d really like to know if Iā€™m on the right track. If there is a smarter or more stable way to set this up, please let me know.

I have a similar setup - proxmox, vm, nas (nfs:data) but I have my vmā€™s on the local disk and a connected usb and back them up to both usb and nas. usb in case I have to take the vmā€™s to another system. proxy server set up as I have two other systems to forward to. I found I had to set up my DAVx on the proxy to get it to work. I NC is a snap install.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried to get it to work on NFS, but I canā€™t get it to function properly.
Iā€™ve mounted the share in ā€œ/var/www/nextcloud/ā€, but after a while it starts to complain that it canā€™t create the data directory. The folder I made has www:data as owner. The remote share itself likely isnā€™t.
fstab entry: 192.168.2.x:ā€˜remote locationā€™ /var/www/nextcloud/folder nfs4 defaults 0 0
"
If I try the ā€˜lsā€™ command in the folder, I get the error ā€œls: cannot open directory ā€˜.ā€™: Stale file handleā€
Am I missing something?

Edit: I found out that the ā€˜stale file handleā€™ has to do with Unraidā€™s mover, so itā€™s not a nfs version issue.

So to use the NFS share (Linux - nfs-common installed) which you probably already have installed.
I created the share and mounted it in the /mnt folder and then created a link to the /var/www/etc/folder (I normally rename the data folder to _data).
Enter the path to data folder in the config and the external folder option (again I am sure you have already done this).
You then should be able to read/write to folders

1 Like

my fstab: 192.168.x.x:/nfs/share /local/nfs/sharename/ nfs auto,nofail,noatime,nolock,intr,tcp,actimeo=1800 0 0

I do not have the nfs4 as you do but a little bit more it seems - see if this helps!

1 Like