Is This a Cache? And How To Manage It?

In the home directory of my NC I have a directory /data/appdata_<some_letters_and_numbers>. Therein is a subdirectory /preview with almost a million files. Are these files necessary or, at least, why there are almost a million files? As far as I see I have appr. 300 thousand files stored in my NC. So I do not really understand, why in the said subdirectory reside almost a million files.

preview tells you the intention.
Nextcloud creates previews in different sizes for e. g. photos.
Whenever you view any photo (image) previews are used and creates them if not existing.

Do you have setup preview-generator?

btw. you started a topic in support category.
Unfortunately you ignored the template and a lot of information to help you is missing.

Please add all necessary information like Nextcloud version, webserver type and version, os version, related log file content.

Without additional information the community members cannot help you.

Regards,
rakekniven

1 Like

I really do not know whether I have setup something like that, at least not consciously.

NC version 29.0.1
PHP version 8.2.19
Postgres version 13.14
Linux 5.10.0-29-amd64 x86_64
Apache version unknown

I operate my NC on a Hetzner Webhosting Level19 account. Therefore, I assume Apache is up to date.

How can I find the related logfile content?

A guy at Hetzners costumer support has critizised me that I would keep too many files in my public directory and requires me to clean it up.