Is There an App to Backup SMS to Nextcloud21? "Nextcloud SMS" Does Not Work

Does there exist an Android app that will backup SMS messages to a private Nextcloud 21 instance?

I tried “Nextcloud SMS”, but it doesn’t seemingly work with NC21, and appears stale – last release was 2018, as far as I can tell. Last bug report was 1 year ago. This app appears to connect successfully, but doesn’t transfer any data, nor generate any errors or other messages.

I searched this forum for “SMS”, but struck out. Surely this seemingly-common use case has an existing solution?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Replying to myself with an update. I found and installed “Phone Sync”. Early returns are not good – it throws a server error when I try to access it through the Nextcloud web, which was literally the first step I tried. I have not yet checked the log file for details, but if it fails on step 1, I doubt I can rely on it.

[ edit: I checked the log, the installer for this Phone Sync app is broken, and doesn’t create the necessary tables. Which renders it useless.

Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\TableNotFoundException: An exception occurred while executing a query: SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'nextcloud.oc_ocsms_smsdatas' doesn't exist

]

The following issue report, which seems to contain a workaround, might help you getting the database layout fixed:

Thanks @j-ed, unfortunately that doesn’t seem to work in all cases, including mine, for unknown reasons.

I’m still astounded that backing up SMS to nextcloud is seemingly such a rare use-case.