Is the Linux desktop client reliable?

Right now I use Nextcloud as a remote location to archive & share files. I’m considering setting up the Nextcloud for Linux client to directly sync my entire home folder (or at least ~/Documents, ~/Pictures, etc.).

What’s your experience with the Nextcloud for Linux client?
Is it reliable enough to keep a home folder sync’d?
Do you have issues with missing/stuck/corrupted files?
Does it work decently with intermittent network (on a laptop)?
Have you tried syncing all the .config files successfully?

I want to avoid noticing 6 months from now that I’ve been losing 2-3 files/week. And yes, I know to “take a backup first!” :slight_smile:

i am using the desktop client with my linux mint machine. Please not that you shouldn’t use the client from the regular system package list.

Add the official nextcloud repository to your install sources and install it from their. Never had any problems after doing so.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nextcloud-devs/client

Interesting - did you have issues with the distro package? Was it just a much older version or something? I usually prefer to stick with the distro package when possible, because they sometimes include compatibility tweaks, like standardizing logfile names/locations.

the main issue i had was that the stock version from the os repo hasn’t started with the os and caused icon legs on my taskbar and it didn’t sync Files sometime.

uh oh! that sounds like exactly what I wanted to avoid. Now I really wonder what’s different between the Mint package and upstream version you’re using.

Running Archlinux on a few PC’s here; I’ve not experienced any significant problems. Virtual files was causing a crash for a couple of versions released last month but the latest version is running well.

@dms

The version from the Linux Mint repositories is much older. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and and has 2.6.2 in it’s repos. You can either add the PPA @DrJambus mentioned or install the Flatpak to get the latest version.

@PeterRob

Since Arch is a rolling release distro it gets the latest version usually a few days after release. At the moment it is on 3.5.1 3.5.5.

@bb77 thank you, it makes sense that there’s a big version lag there. I’m also on Arch so it should be relatively up to date.

@PeterRob were you using Virtual Files to cause the crashes? Or the fact they rolled out the feature gave you issues? The fact you’re running it OK on a couple machines definitely makes me feel better about the setup.

1 Like

@dms yes Virtual Files was causing the crash every time I set it on, I reverted to selective sync, however the latest update solved the issue and I’m back on Virtual Files.

Guess we’re on the bleeding edge with Arch, that’s one of the attractions :grinning:.

1 Like

Ah ok :slight_smile: I must have been a bit confused, because in another thread someone else had a question about Linux Mint and DrJambus mentioned the PPA :smiley:

It looks like Virtual Drive can only be considered officially stable on Windows so far. I only tested it briefly when it was announced and can’t say much about how well it runs in day-to-day usage. But the standard file synchronisation has been reliable for me on Linux for years now, on Arch as well as on Pop! _OS (Ubuntu based).

3.5.1 really?

i can only find 3.3.5 here https://download.nextcloud.com/desktop/releases/Linux/

Regards,
A.

Yes you are right. It’s 3.5.5. Did not check before I posted, and as I already said, I’ve got a few things mixed up in my head, when I wrote said post :wink:

And as I said in my previous post, Virtual Drive support has still to be considered experimental on Linux, even with the latest version. But with the standard file sync I never had any issues with any version. And i’ve been using it for a few years now on diffrent distributions. Mainly on Ubuntu based distros (with the PPA) and on Arch.

Great, I’m going to try setting it up this weekend, thanks everyone!

To follow up, it’s working wonderfully! I opted to selectively sync (Documents, Pictures, Videos, and .local) folders rather than my entire home folder. Syncing .local had a couple challenges:

• Trash is in .local; I don’t want to sync it
  • NextCloud client (rightly) stores configs in .local; syncing them causes infinite sync loops

Apparently there’s a known bug where the clients don’t respect ignore lists. I had luck adding the above folders to the Global Ignores, but the per-share ignore lists didn’t work.

There’s a lot of noise created by syncing .local (my dashboard top recommended files is the “gnome_shell/application_state” :grin:). Normally I wouldn’t sync .local or AppData, but Shotwell stores its critical database in there, so who knows what else is important??

Figured I’d share this in case someone else goes down the same path.