Is it worth the effort switching from MySQL to MariaDB?

Please excuse the provocative subject. :slight_smile:

As far as I understand it, MariaDB is the better choice, when doing a fresh installation. I am running NextCloud on a Raspberry, and MySQL is my database type, because it has been running on the machine long before NextCloud was installed, and of course it is used by other programs as well, that need a data base.

My question is: would it make sense to switch to MariaDB? I highly doubt it, but I am curious: would there be any noticeable gain in performance at all? Or would the difference between the two data base servers be visible only on more sophisticated servers with dozens or hundreds of users?

Redis as file/file-locking cache and php7 make a remarkable difference. I had some test setups with both mysql and mariadb, I couldn’t see any difference. If you measure precisely and push the db and the system to its limits, it can make a difference:

1 Like

Hi,

I don’t think that switching to MariaDB will get you anything in regards to performance - at least on a raspi.

Cheers,
budy

Budy: that’s what I am thinking, too, and what was keeping me from doing it until now. But on the other hand: if migrating really doesn’t take more than just “apt-get install mariadb-server”, as mentioned in the “10 reasons”, there’s no reason not to migrate, even though I won’t feel a difference.

But just for curiosity: what kind of machine and how many users and what size of data base would be necessary, to actually witness and feel a boost in performance? Does any one know this? Does any one have experience with this?

1 Like

The main difference is that mysql is owned by Oracle, the bug tracker is closed (you have to pay for it) and for more useful features you need to buy the enterprise edition (aka open core). Distributions in general have therefore embraced mariadb.

Oracle alone should be enough reason to switch, but that’s your decision.

3 Likes

Well, sure… but I think this discussion was not to be held from a political standpoint, but rather a practical one. I would also install MariaDB on any new host, or if I’d had to perform a complete overhaul, but unless that is the case and if MySQL runs fine, I’d rather not change it.

I think this discussion was not to be held from a political standpoint, but rather a practical one.

From a practical standpoint, I like being able to file an issue when i run into a problem, and not have to pay before getting any support. YMMV

The very simple answer from my side, you need to read the published post on dzone i.e. https://dzone.com/articles/5-steps-migrate-mysql And if any one want to know the difference between mariaDB vs MySQL then click here.