Is anyone working on a email-list app?

Is anyone working on a mailing-list Next Cloud application?

I’d want one that let me put a “subscribe” form on a website.

Then had a form on the NC pages to let me send an email to the users who had done that.

Ideally with separately configured SMTP details (I’d like to use sendgrid personally), not necessarily the same SMTP details as the main system.

It’d have an “unsubscribe” link on the bottom of every email sent.

Ideally enabling creation and management of multiple lists.

Doesn’t seem that difficult, but I would definitely spend more time working on learning NC than on building the app and I don’t have that much time.

If nobody is working on one, can we set up a bounty?

I will chip in hundreds of dollars to a bounty for someone who makes that app. Anyone else?

I’m assuming this is a “no” then, and have started work on one.

Will be a while before there’s much there but if anyone wants to help let me know.

I’m not sure why anyone would want to build an email list app from scratch, when there are so many other options out there. You could use mailchimp or phplist or whatever to set up a list and a subscribe page, and then just include an external site link to it from within nextcloud.

I don’t wanna store my lists on Mailchimp’s servers. I wanna own my cloud.

I don’t know exactly what you are trying to do. Can you describe some more? You probably want to look for some open source self hosted equivalent to mailchimp, like phplist. I haven’t done this for a while myself so am not sure of the best option. You can install it on the same server with nextcloud.

I work for Discourse.org. If community is what you are looking for, you could self host a Discourse forum, like this one. Discourse does a good job reaching people by email and letting them reply by email.

I’m not particularly familiar with selfhosting software for mailing lists, but the suggestions in this subreddit, sound like they could possibly fit your needs…

https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/ebt5x0/free_and_open_source_mailing_list_software/

Presenting: Listman!

• Create lists
  • Add members
  • Add messages
  • Send messages to members

All with un/subscribe forms/links and a bunch of other stuff.

I doubt it’ll scale to thousands of list-members, but it does everything I need it to do.

7 Likes

Awesome work! Would make a nice addition to the app store. :+1:

yea, I second that, super cool! A mailing list manager for Nextcloud, I’ve seen ppl ask for that so I bet it would get plenty users.

Good plan. Here we go, on the app store:

https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/listman

4 Likes

is there a way to have SMTP with 587 STARTTLS (ssl) ?

mail server log :

Mar 9 00:28:33 mail1 postfix/submission/smtpd[889279]: connect from web2.tld.org[10.10.10.112]   
Mar 9 00:28:33 mail1 postfix/submission/smtpd[889279]: lost connection after CONNECT from   
web2.tld.org[10.10.10.112]   
Mar 9 00:28:33 mail1 postfix/submission/smtpd[889279]: disconnect from web2.tld.org[10.10.10.112] commands=0/0

This is fantastic!

My only suggestion, would be to have an auto-create function that grabs each group folder (if any), creates a mailing list that matches that group name, and then auto includes each group’s members list into the mailing list (keep the unsubscribe function in the emails).

Fantastic work though!