iOS/macOS DAV sync doesn‘t fetch updates for Reminders/Calendar

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 26.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Arch Linux
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Caddy 2
PHP version (eg, 7.4): PHP 8.1

The issue you are facing:

On my macOS and iPadOS devices, CalDAV syncing for calendar and reminders doesn‘t work as expected. When I create and edit events/reminders on those devices, they get properly pushed to the server. When I edit/remove events with other clients or using the web interface, the changes aren‘t fetched by the Calendar/Reminders app and sort of get stuck on iPadOS/macOS. Even when force-refreshing calendars (Command+R on macOS, pull-to-refresh on iPadOS) it does not update (for Reminders, there is no manual way to update).

If I remove the account and re-add it, the data is fetched properly. It‘s not a good workaround however to do this every so often.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Setup Calendar/Reminders sync on an iPad/Mac.
  2. Delete an already existing event using the web interface.
  3. Open the calendar app on the Mac/iPad and refresh. The deleted event is still there.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:
Output after refreshing:

nextcloud            | 172.24.0.4 -  16/May/2023:11:33:12 +0000 "REPORT /remote.php" 207
nextcloud            | 172.24.0.4 -  16/May/2023:11:33:12 +0000 "PROPFIND /remote.php" 207
nextcloud            | 172.24.0.4 -  16/May/2023:11:33:13 +0000 "PROPFIND /remote.php" 207
nextcloud            | 172.24.0.4 -  16/May/2023:11:33:14 +0000 "PROPFIND /remote.php" 207
nextcloud            | 172.24.0.4 -  16/May/2023:11:33:14 +0000 "REPORT /remote.php" 207

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:
(n/a)

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

2 Likes

Same issue on all my IOS based devices. Not sure if this is related to Nextcloud or IOS as my Android based CalDav client is working absolutely fine.

On macOS 12.6 “Montery” with Nextcloud version 26.0.2 on a DirectAdmin server I have the same issue. Also on iOS (quite recent, I don’t have the version available now).

When I start the Reminders app on macOS I get serveral log entries:

[webdav] Debug: Sabre\DAV\Exception\NotAuthenticated: No public access to this resource., No 'Authorization: Bearer' header found. Either the client didn't send one, or the server is mis-configured, No 'Authorization: Basic' header found. Either the client didn't send one, or the server is misconfigured at <<closure>>

0. /public_html/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php line 89
   Sabre\DAV\Auth\Plugin->beforeMethod()
1. /public_html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 456
   Sabre\DAV\Server->emit()
2. /public_html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 253
   Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod()
3. /public_html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 321
   Sabre\DAV\Server->start()
4. /public_html/apps/dav/lib/Server.php line 366
   Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()
5. /public_html/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php line 35
   OCA\DAV\Server->exec()
6. /public_html/remote.php line 172
   require_once(" ... p")

PROPFIND /remote.php/dav/calendars/joost/
from <my IP> by joost at 2023-05-30T20:22:37+00:00

And the simular Sabre\DAV\Exception\NotAuthenticated errors for:

REPORT /remote.php/dav/principals/calendar-resources/

and

PROPFIND /remote.php/dav/principals/users/joost/

Doing some tests today I must say syncing with macOS Reminders app seems to be very irregular.

To manage tasks I use the Android OpenTasks app, the Nextcloud web interface, macOS Reminders and my wife uses the iOS Reminders app.

I tend to recycle tasks a lot (its our grocery list :slight_smile: ) so eg. after buying bread it is done but when I need bread again I “open” that task again.

In the OpenTasks app when I open a task the progress is set to 50%, Reminders does not seem to have such a setting.

That item does not seem to reappear in Reminders. When I delete the progress on the web interface, it does appear in Reminders.

But switching around with a task in both OpenTasks, web and Reminders suddenly all tasks are synced in Reminders.

Hard for me to understand what is happening here…

Same issue here.

Syncing fails with iPadOS calendar, Thunderbird on Linux does not remove deleted events.

Using recent versions:

Server:

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with recent patchlevel
Nextcloud 26.0.2.1, Calendar 4.3.4

Clients non-working:

ArchLinux with recent Thunderbird
iPadOS 16.5 with Calendar

Client working:

Android wirth DAVx5

Cheers

Dirk

I think I have the same issue.
Nextcloud 26.0.3
IOS 16.5.1 (10 clients)
A few iPad’s (different versions)
CalDav synchronizer for Outlook 4.4.1.0

Problem occurring since may 2023, not sure if it was after an update of Nexcloud or IOS.

Affects only IOS and iPad’s. Calendar on Outlook (plugin) is always in sync with Nextcloud.

Calendar items and updates are always send to Nextcloud but not all devices receive updates or new events. Manual refresh on IOS doesn’t help.

(Not very useful) workaround: Deactivating and deleting Calendar on IOS and re-enabling forces to fetch and all items are shown in the Calendar. Works without account deletion on IOS.

Please let me now if I can contribute (testing, logging, etc.)

Greets,

Ariën

2 Likes

I did some searching through the Nextcloud Server issues and found this: Bugfix/36644 pruneOutdatedSyncTokens deletes all entries by charno · Pull Request #38639 · nextcloud/server · GitHub
I’m not entirely sure, but this may be related to my issues described above so I remain hopeful that the PR may fix them. It’s planned to be backported into NC 26 which is what I’m running.