"Invalid private key for encryption app. Please update your private key password in your personal settings to recover access to your encrypted files"

I have seen this topic from years ago but nothing recent when i searched for a solution. I just enabled end-to-end encryption, and i got this message.
NC Personal Security asks for the old log-in password and the current log-in password. Unless you manually type them in, you cannot click on the update private key password. I am able to do so but it says “saving” but it never becomes “saved”.

Note sure if you can see the picture but hopefully there is a simple solution.

1 Like

I am facing he same problem, and looking for solution, too.

To whomever it helps: thanks.

Yup, same issue. Looks like there are threads on this going back to 2018, none with a solution.

Since 2FA has been enabled, I have had that problem too, very annoying. Pfff. . 6 years on, this problem is still not solved.

Nextcloud 27.1.5
Data access is normal but the notification keeps coming up.

What should you enter here? The “Old log-in password” is known and accepted but what is the “Current log-in password” … ? Or should the Encryption be reset?

Are you trying to use Server-Side Encryption or End to End encryption?

They’re very different things and not at all compatible with each other.

Your screen shot indicate you have both active.

The end_to_end_encryption app isn’t a default app so it would have had to be deliberately installed at some point.

No, I don’t use Server-Side Encryption. It’s disabled in Nexcloud.
I know that this is conflicting.

E2EE is fully functional and used for Nextcloud Desktop Clients (version 3.12) on two Macs (macOS 12.7.3 and 14.3.1) So with the same pass phrase on both Macs I have access to all resources.

E2EE is fully functional and used for Nextcloud Desktop Clients (version 3.12) on two Macs (macOS 12.7.3 and 14.3.1) So with the same pass phrase on both Macs I have access to all resources.

Definitely don’t reset in that case.

I agree it sounds like you have fully functioning E2EE in-place from your description.

Do you still have the encryption app enabled though under Apps? That’s the only way this can happen. That message (Your private key password no longer matches your log-in password) is 100% from the server-side encryption app. It can’t appear unless the app is still enabled.

Dear Josh,
That was the ultimate answer. As Admin under Apps, I disabled the Encryption feature. Now the notification has disappeared.

Pretty nice, thank you very much,

1 Like