'Internal service error' on trying to click Apps

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Unraid docker linuxserver
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Unraid docker linuxserver
PHP version (eg, 7.4): Unraid docker linuxserver

The issue you are facing:
I recently lost some data out of my array and had an error which asked me to create a .ocdata file in my main Nextcloud directory. I did that and Nextcloud loaded and runs properly, but a few hours later I thought to dig into all my menus and, when I click my Admin account’s + Apps link in the dropdown I get the following error:

Internal Server Error

The server was unable to complete your request.

If this happens again, please send the technical details below to the server administrator.

More details can be found in the server log.

Technical details

• Remote Address: 172.18.122.215
  • Request ID: XbS9VPk4XMyU9XrhyfOk

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Try clicking + Apps as admin

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

[PHP] Error: file_get_contents(/data/nextcloudadmin/files/Documents/Readme.md): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /app/www/public/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#331
	PROPFIND /remote.php/dav/files/nextcloudadmin/
	from 172.18.122.215 by nextcloudadmin at 15 Apr 2024, 01:11:18
{"reqId":"Ch7CanofuCqQlRGAHvkB","level":3,"time":"2024-04-14T23:11:18+00:00","remoteAddr":"172.18.122.215","user":"nextcloudadmin","app":"webdav","method":"PROPFIND","url":"/remote.php/dav/files/nextcloudadmin/","message":"Exception thrown: OCP\\Files\\GenericFileException","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/123.0.0.0 Safari/537.36","version":"28.0.4.1","exception":{"Exception":"OCP\\Files\\GenericFileException","Message":"","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"/config/www/nextcloud/apps/text/lib/DAV/WorkspacePlugin.php","line":119,"function":"getContent","class":"OC\\Files\\Node\\File","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/PropFind.php","line":95,"function":"OCA\\Text\\DAV\\{closure}","class":"OCA\\Text\\DAV\\WorkspacePlugin","type":"->","args":["*** sensitive parameters replaced ***"]},{"file":"/config/www/nextcloud/apps/text/lib/DAV/WorkspacePlugin.php","line":117,"function":"handle","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\PropFind","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php","line":89,"function":"propFind","class":"OCA\\Text\\DAV\\WorkspacePlugin","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":1052,"function":"emit","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":984,"function":"getPropertiesByNode","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":1662,"function":"getPropertiesIteratorForPath","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":1647,"function":"writeMultiStatus","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/CorePlugin.php","line":346,"function":"generateMultiStatus","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php","line":89,"function":"httpPropFind","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\CorePlugin","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":472,"function":"emit","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":253,"function":"invokeMethod","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":321,"function":"start","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/config/www/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Server.php","line":373,"function":"exec","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/config/www/nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php","line":35,"function":"exec","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/app/www/public/remote.php","line":172,"args":["/config/www/nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php"],"function":"require_once"}],"File":"/app/www/public/lib/private/Files/Node/File.php","Line":56,"message":"","exception":[],"CustomMessage":"Exception thrown: OCP\\Files\\GenericFileException"},"id":"661c62a2d43d0"}

The output of your config.php file in `/path/to/nextcloud` (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):
<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'memcache.distributed' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'redis' =>

'timeout' => 1.5,
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/data',
  'instanceid' => '
  'trusted_domains' =>
  array (
  'dbtype' => 'pgsql',
  'version' => '28.0.4.1',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'dbuser' =>
  'installed' => true,
  'app_install_overwrite' =>
  array (
    0 => 'twofactor_rcdevsopenotp',
    1 => 'twofactor_admin',
    2 => 'epubreader',
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced' => 'true',
  'twofactor_enforced_groups' =>
  array (
    0 => 'admin',
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced_excluded_groups' =>
  array (
  ),
  'mail_from_address' => 'nextcloud',
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'filelocking.enabled' => 'true',
  'upgrade.disable-web' => true,
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in `/var/log/____`:

PASTE HERE

PASTE HERE

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

PASTE HERE

Does the file /data/nextcloudadmin/files/Documents/Readme.md exist on your filesystem? The error suggests your missing some files.

I recently lost some data out of my array and had an error which asked me to create a .ocdata file in my main Nextcloud directory.

What data was lost? And what else did you do recover your installation? If there are random files missing from the filesystem, at a minimum, you’ll need to run a file scan to try to sync the database back up with what you actually have. However I don’t advise doing that until you’re sure you’ll not be restoring any of your lost data from backup due to your array issue.

/data/nextcloudadmin/files/Documents/ doesn’t even exist on my system. I’m trying to get into my backup, but I was using AWS Glacier Deep Archive which may have been a mistake in this context because now all my data is terribly hard to retrieve. In the event I decide I just don’t care about the files, might it be possible to just backup the settings of NextCloud and then rebuild it on a fresh install?

Okay so it’s understandable this is occurring. Nextcloud has that folder in its database and it’s gone missing on the underlying storage.

In the event I decide I just don’t care about the files, might it be possible to just backup the settings of NextCloud and then rebuild it on a fresh install?

You could, but if only data files (i.e. those located in your datadirectory) are what are missing, you can just do a occ files:scan --all and Nextcloud should drop all the entries in its database for files that you’ve lost and decided not to restore to disk.

I’ve finally managed to get into my backup, so I’m restoring that now (it includes thousands of files in the updater…/backups/…/apps/… folders, so I imagine this (or other missing files) are contributing. I’ll run the full restore and see where that gets me first, if that doesn’t work I’ll do an occ files:scan --all

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Yup, that seems to have done it-finished the restore and I can get into Apps now, so it did seem to have been a missing file issue. Thanks for the help, all!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.