Internal Server Error on initial install - "Failed to start session"

Brand new install on FreeBSD 13, Apache, Nextcloud 25.0.1, php 8.1.

Upon opening the site for the first time to finish DB configuration, I’m getting an Internal Server Error.

The error log is showing this:

[Thu Nov 17 14:54:34.257790 2022] [php:notice] [pid 23966] [client ...:32976] {“reqId”:“JbIrHp9oIBDBkl3jNX5q”,“level”:3,“time”:“2022-11-17T20:54:34+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:“...”,“user”:“–”,“app”:“base”,“method”:“GET”,“url”:“/”,“message”:“Failed to start session”,“userAgent”:“Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/107.0.0.0 Safari/537.36”,“version”:“”,“exception”:{“Exception”:“Exception”,“Message”:“Failed to start session”,“Code”:0,“Trace”:[{“file”:“/usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/base.php”,“line”:434,“function”:“__construct”,“class”:“OC\\Session\\Internal”,“type”:“->”},{“file”:“/usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/base.php”,“line”:676,“function”:“initSession”,“class”:“OC”,“type”:“::”},{“file”:“/usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/base.php”,“line”:1144,“function”:“init”,“class”:“OC”,“type”:“::”},{“file”:“/usr/local/www/nextcloud/index.php”,“line”:34,“args”:[“/usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/base.php”],“function”:“require_once”}],“File”:“/usr/local/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Session/Internal.php”,“Line”:62,“CustomMessage”:“–”}}

Verified php functionality, chown www, permissions - this is a php error but I can’t figure out the cause. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

1 Like

@kidder any luck with solving that? I have exactly the same issue.

Nope - gave up and did a whole new rebuild - worked fine the second time around.