Installing OnlyOffice (Which server?)

I have a question about how to install OnlyOffice. Should it be installed on the same server as NextCloud, or a different server?

I tried to install on the same server, following the instructions here: https://www.onlyoffice.com/blog/2018/08/how-to-deploy-onlyoffice-with-nextcloud-effortlessly/

However, I got the following error after Run Docker Compose:

docker-compose up -d

Digest: sha256:d911db4d8bb864dc59ce92c9af7ddf85d0e7a2b64259680f812dbe0322a2dd94
Status: Downloaded newer image for onlyoffice/documentserver:latest
Creating nginx-server …
Creating app-server …
Creating onlyoffice-document-server …
Creating nginx-server
Creating app-server
Creating nginx-server … error

ERROR: for nginx-server Cannot start service nginx: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint nginx-server (a3ff6c7acab3bdd233d4ef5ded2ac3d684e0f21153c80d5f612548587e17b575): Error Creating onlyoffice-document-server … done

ERROR: for nginx Cannot start service nginx: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint nginx-server (a3ff6c7acab3bdd233d4ef5ded2ac3d684e0f21153c80d5f612548587e17b575): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.
root@micco:/home/dustin/docker-onlyoffice-nextcloud#

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

following this guide worked very good for me.
And as mentioned in the article there are diffs between OO on same domain than NC and if both are on different domains.
Nextcloud and ONLYOFFICE (NGINX) – Carsten Rieger IT-Services

Hope it help you to reproduce …

My OO docker is on the same server and so on the same domain as my NC installation.

chrissi55
Thanks for your response. I have a few questions:

1. What IP address do I use for the TCP port on my router? Is it the same IP address as my nextcloud?
  2. Does it make a difference if I am using a 2nd router? My first router is connected to my second router. Should I make the changes on the 2nd router or the 1st router (the router directly connected to the ISP)
  3. For the nginx.conf file upstream onlyoffice-docker { server 127.0.0.1:8443; Is this the same IP I used in my wifi router TCP port?
  4. set_real_ip_from 192.168.2.0/24 ; (what IP do I put here? and here? resolver 192.168.2.1 valid=30s;
  5. ssl.conf : do I copy and paste the contents you provided into this file?
  6. when I try to restart the PHP and Web server service php7.3-fpm restart && service nginx restart
    I get the following errror:

Failed to restart php7.3-fpm.service: Unit php7.3-fpm.service not found.

@yogaturtle which how to did you follow when you installed nextcloud?

Reiner
I installed NextCloud using the snap package. I followed the procedure for setting up using snap. I never installed PHP. Should I start from scratch and reinstall the server? What procedure should I use? I want to install using snap.

Dustin

snap is an “all-in package”. the user should not be bothered with details. which is fine because with a few clicks you get a running setup.

that’s ok. but i think i don’t have a howto at hand for you. most of the howto’s i know asume that you configure the web server in front of nextcloud to act as a reverse proxy for onlyoffice. (in this case you need only one domain and certificates for that one.) for this setup you would have to add a virtual host to the apache (or nginx) config. i don’t know if that’s possible with snap. (did you ask google: “nextcloud snap onlyoffice”)

if you stay with snap: you have to start the documentsever on a different port. port 80 is used by nextcloud.

you have to choose the same protocol (http or https) as you use for nextcloud.

in case of https and selfsigned certs for nextcloud you have to build your own image. (or connect into the container and set the parameter manually. but you have to do it after each image/container update.)

the document server url would be: your-nextcloud-server plus the port you choose for the container to be exposed.

ok?

did you check if you are happy with the new documentserver app integrated in nc18? you would not need the docker container. nevertheless - afaik - it doesn’t provide all the features.