Installing on QNap NAS?

Sorry, canā€™t take you up on your offer. My SysAdmin days are over (doing it for money, as a professional job). My Nextcloud server is pretty much just for my own personal use, on a hobby-like basis.

You could use the Nextcloud OVA image from TechAndMe and import it to your Qnap:

1 Like

Word to the wise, on your Qnap appliance, at present, DO NOT try to uninstall the ā€œContainer Stationā€ app (thinking, you no longer need it, considering that all you need is ā€œVirtualization Stationā€), or your Qnap will freeze badly.

See: Container Station uninstall stuck

I have a QNAP TS-253Be and Iā€™m wondering if the VM is still the best way to install NC onto my NAS? I noticed that this post is a bit dated.

Iā€™ve tried to install QNAP Stephaneā€™s NC .qpkg but its too complicated for my level of technical knowledge. So Im trying to find a more practicle and managable way of installing and using NC on my QNAP.

Any replyā€™s are welcomed.

I suggest yes, make a good old VM, and then install Nextcloud using snapd inside it. The ability to snapshot your VM before Nextcloud installation and upgrades will be well worth the hassle of creating a VM. Having snapshot ability (somehow or other) will not go out of style, IMHO.

My original Nextcloud VM (posted about, above) is still running well, and I rely on it daily.

Regarding snapshots that should be possible in the QNAP interface as well IIRC. That snapshots the whole system, and not just the Nextcloud ā€œsnapā€.

And yeah, the Nextcloud VM can be used to install on a QNAP.

1 Like

Iā€™m running NextCloud on two different QNAP boxes: TVS-673e and TS-473.
But I did it the ā€œhardā€ way - Linux (Ubuntu) VM first, LEMP stack, NC, create second drive (img), mount it, set it as data directoryā€¦
This way, in case of the VM rendered un-bootable, I can always add the second drive (i.e. data directory) to any other Linux VM, mount it, and recover all the files.

A few weeks ago Ubuntu 18.04 got its OpenSSL package updated to 1.1.1 and now Letā€™s Encrypt SSL cert shows TLS 1.3, X25519, and AES_256_GCM credentials.

I have a few more NC installs in vSphere 6.5/6.7 environment where the same setup procedure was usedā€¦

Has anyone got a complete YAML for an application setup within container station docker?

I can get SQL Lite working but getting a connection to main SQLDB or dedicated SQL dB in the app image doesnā€™t work for me. I can share the draft YAML if it helps?

Is this solution still up to date for installing Nextcloud on a QNAP?

Hi @Klagio

Yes, that should still be a valid and easy solution for QNAP NAS.
Just make sure you download the *.OVA version of the VM, because this is a format QNAP Virtualization Station supports to import:

Virtualization Station supports importing and exporting VMs. The *.ova, *.ovf and *.vmx formats are supported by VMs exported from VirtualBox and VMWare

(source: How to import and export virtual machines (VM) to/from Virtualization Station (including importing virtual machines from on-line VM markets) ? | QNAP)

Hi, it works perfectly locally, unfortunately not from remote (for now I solve with a VPN)

Myu situation is the following

On my router I forward port 80 and 443 to my host with NGINX PROXY MANAGER, with letsencrypt certificates.
My remote address for my nextcloud installation on QNAP is my-nextcloud-server.duckdns.org
NGINX PROXY manager routes https://my-nextcloud-server.duckdns.org to http;//192.168.1.235:80
QNAP address is http://192.168.1.24:8080 with virtual switch to nextcloud VM to 192.168.1.235 (see attached picture)

From remote when I enter in my browser https://my-nextcloud-server.duckdns.org I receive

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

How can I solve this?

Just another confirmation that this still works. Last weekend I used the .OVA package imported into Virtualization Station on a TS-673 running QTS 4.4.3. On import, I gave it two cores and 8GB of RAM. I left the network card type at e1000, it didnā€™t work if I selected virtio. I changed the network to virtio after the initial install. For the virtual disks, those worked with the virtio type right away.

I run one NC instance on QNAP TS-673.
Installed manually: Ubuntu 18.04 + NC, since v.14.

Working just as well as instances on ESXiā€¦ Today updated to 19.0.1ā€¦

Novice also, but followed the instructoons,downloaded the NC VM, but then hit a snag! The upload of the OVA stops at abou 1%.I have 2 CPUs and 4GB RAM (max), what else could I do to get this installed.Iā€™m using a QNAP TS-453A

Many thanks

discovered a kind of crossposting @digitalgerry

Thx Iā€™ve removed the other - and help apprecicted

Normally a QNap NAS has a system storage pool and other storage pools for RAIDs. For using Nextcloud, I image it is a good idea to have the VM in system storage pool and the files in a separate storage pool. Do you also have the VM in system pool? How to set up the files to be in another storage pool?