Import new users data with Server Side Encryption enabled

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 27.1.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Host: Debian 12.1 Docker container: Debian 12
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.57
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.2.12
Additional Details: Using Dockerfile from https://github.com/nextcloud/docker/blob/master/.examples/dockerfiles/full/apache/Dockerfile

The issue you are facing: I am wondering how to import a new user’s data with Server Side Encryption enabled? I have a new user looking to import 200+ gb of data from Google Drive. The data is already physically present on the server but I am unaware of how to import from there. Can I place the files in the correct directory, run occ files:scan, and expect all files to populate and be encrypted as expected?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

I omitted some of the details from the template as I’m not sure if they apply here. Let me know if any of the info is needed (config.php, logs, etc.) and I can provide them.

Update, I’ve tried manually copying some of the files and then running occ files:scan and occ encryption: encrypt-all and I can confirm that the files are visible in nextcloud now. I also see that the files are not encrypted despite seeing them show up in the output of encryption:encrypt-all. I can still cat the text files and see the contents and file reveals all the metadata instead of showing data as the file type. If anyone has experience doing bulk imports with SSE I would appreciate tips.

To do this “correct” you will need to transfer the files through the application. WebDAV will work. Or you simply setup a desktop client and copy the files into the folder setup to be E2EE and the client and server will take care of this.

That’s about what I expected it to be… Alright let me see how feasible it is to set this up with WebDAV.

On another note I discovered that the original issue with encrypting is because the user of the imported files was set to root instead of www-data. So, those files are encrypted now. For the sake of avoiding further issues I’ll try to set up WebDAV. thanks for the help!

1 Like